Home > Trip Reports > July 28, 2013, Mt. Hood South Route

July 28, 2013, Mt. Hood South Route

7/28/13
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jonn-E on 7/31/13 12:45am
Some fellow skiers and I attempted to ski Hood in two days, but the highest we were able to ski from was 9,500'.  If determined you could ski from higher but it would suck due to suncups and would require some carries over bare patches.  The only good skiing we had was through the resort (which, for July, was fantastic).  We did summit though, and even though the USFS is recommending the season be "over" we found pretty reasonable climbing conditions early in the day.  Rockfall would be a real concern in the afternoon.  The summit is bare, and the old chute/west route is mandatory (pearly gates are bare).  The exit from the chutes onto the summit mound is via a skinny choss ridge, barely class 2 but vertigo-inducing.  Having two poky things in the chutes was nice...it's maybe 55 degrees at the top.

Saw the remnants of the old fire lookout on the summit, which was neat.  Also saw more trash (including pee bottles) than I could ever hope to pickup, which was not neat.

Nice talking to you Jonn - thanks for the reply on my TR.  I'd thought of a summit try, but got a late start and it looked a little sketch from my top out. 

I never understood the point of peeing in a bottle while out-doors, unless you're going to take it with you.  There's a similar pile of sh*t on the ZigZag side of Illumination Saddle.  Pic from last year. 

I started to round it up, but there's some really disgusting stuff mixed in, and there's no way I could haul it all even in my black bag poncho.  Would be cool if T-Line partnered with a few groups to get cat and sled near a couple 'dump' sites.  Rubber gloves and bleach would be mandatory.  Would take special FS authorization for them to leave the permit area?

Cheers.

Reply to this TR

july-28-2013-mt-hood-south-route
Jonn-E
2013-07-31 07:45:25