7/27/13
Posted by mikerolfs on 7/28/13 12:48am
Saturday July 27, 2013
Jtack and mikerolfs
Hawkins Mtn.
Approach: 5.5miles, 3000'
Ski: patchy, 700'
Found along the way: beer cans, bullet casings, crankshaft, sock

Why walk when you can drive?  That's a conversation that came up on our trip to Hawkins Mountain, which is the 7160' high point between Salmon La Sac and the Teanaway.  Hawkins lies just west of Esmerelda Peak, which is just west of Mt. Stuart.  From Mt. Daniel two weeks prior, Coron and I had spied a tempting snowpatch in the gulley between the summits.  Jamie Tackman was game to keep me company on this exploration.

Hawkins Mtn from the north

The trail from De Roux Campground was dusty but otherwise typical of the central cascades with meadows, creeks and views of the surrounding peaks.  The motorcycle tread on the trail should have tipped us off, but it wasn't until we popped onto the Gallagher Head Lake plateau that we realized we weren't in Kansas anymore;

Gallagher Head Lake with a five jeep camp

What a chuckle we got seeing these vehicles.  We were 4 miles into the approach!   We chatted with the fellow at the other end of the lake (fancy SUV and trailer) and then continued on toward our goal.  The way from Gallagher Head Lake was along a jeep road which was easy walking, but dusty.  This road took us to an old mine site at the base of the Hawkins summit hump, just 1/2 mile and 500 feet shy of the top.  On the way back we saw jeeps at the road end and wondered about the value of a summit register so close to the car.

Jeeps at the end of the road.  Photo taken from the pass between the East and West summits.

Views from the summit were spectacular with good views of the Lemah, Chimney Rock group, Daniel/Hinman, Mt Stuart and the Cle Elum river drainage.  There is a register on top, and Jamie signed us in.  Even with the close driving access, the register had a low entry frequency.  One from June, then two from May, then back to November.

Stuart behind Jamie who is repairing the lid leash for the summit register tube.

Rainier from the road end

So now for the skiing;  Much of the snow had melted in the two weeks since I took that first picture.  There was still skiing to be had, but it was definitely novelty skiing, with scree crossings between patches and one interesting transition from inside a small top moat.  Jamie's watch says we got 400 feet and my iPhone says we got 700.  Either way it was limited vertical for the approach. 

top of the snow

the second patch

Moat transition.  The patch situation is not as dire as it looks in this photo

patch 3

Even though this wasn't our backyard, Jamie felt the need to clean up after the motorized crowd.  Here he is with a bud light can. 

Jtack not J-tacking.  First time I've ever seen his skis racked!

I guess if you drove to the end of the jeep road, the approach would be appropriate for the ski.  500 vert approach for a 500 foot ski.  The drive would be a long one though.  Earlier in the year this would be a really fun area.  Especially so if you could ski back to the car.

Walking out felt like we were on the wrong side of the tracks.  We walked back past the jeep camp and I imagine the crew at the lake got a good laugh over two knuckleheads with skis, and backpacks, and no vehicle!  It was a fun adventure into a new area and so very worth the walk. 

Tadpole pond above Gallagher Head Lake
I would have done the same ski trip and would have wondered similar thoughts, while humping back to the car past wood smoke, oil smells, tire tracks and beer can-clinking...you do great trips Mike, would be great to meet at a trail head some time. You live in such a perfect part of Washington for BC Skiing! Good job!    :)

author=mikerolfs link=topic=29024.msg122164#msg122164 date=1375026481]
Saturday July 27, 2013
Jtack and mikerolfs
Hawkins Mtn.
Approach: 5.5miles, 3000'
Ski: patchy, 700'
Found along the way: beer cans, bullet casings, crankshaft, sock

Why walk when you can drive?  That's a conversation that came up on our trip to Hawkins Mountain, which is the 7160' high point between Salmon La Sac and the Teanaway.  Hawkins lies just west of Esmerelda Peak, which is just west of Mt. Stuart.  From Mt. Daniel two weeks prior, Coron and I had spied a tempting snowpatch in the gulley between the summits.  Jamie Tackman was game to keep me company on this exploration.

Hawkins Mtn from the north

The trail from De Roux Campground was dusty but otherwise typical of the central cascades with meadows, creeks and views of the surrounding peaks.  The motorcycle tread on the trail should have tipped us off, but it wasn't until we popped onto the Gallagher Head Lake plateau that we realized we weren't in Kansas anymore;

Gallagher Head Lake with a five jeep camp

What a chuckle we got seeing these vehicles.  We were 4 miles into the approach!   We chatted with the fellow at the other end of the lake (fancy SUV and trailer) and then continued on toward our goal.  The way from Gallagher Head Lake was along a jeep road which was easy walking, but dusty.  This road took us to an old mine site at the base of the Hawkins summit hump, just 1/2 mile and 500 feet shy of the top.  On the way back we saw jeeps at the road end and wondered about the value of a summit register so close to the car.

Jeeps at the end of the road.  Photo taken from the pass between the East and West summits.

Views from the summit were spectacular with good views of the Lemah, Chimney Rock group, Daniel/Hinman, Mt Stuart and the Cle Elum river drainage.  There is a register on top, and Jamie signed us in.  Even with the close driving access, the register had a low entry frequency.  One from June, then two from May, then back to November.

Stuart behind Jamie who is repairing the lid leash for the summit register tube.

Rainier from the road end

So now for the skiing;  Much of the snow had melted in the two weeks since I took that first picture.  There was still skiing to be had, but it was definitely novelty skiing, with scree crossings between patches and one interesting transition from inside a small top moat.  Jamie's watch says we got 400 feet and my iPhone says we got 700.  Either way it was limited vertical for the approach. 

top of the snow

the second patch

Moat transition.  The patch situation is not as dire as it looks in this photo

patch 3

Even though this wasn't our backyard, Jamie felt the need to clean up after the motorized crowd.  Here he is with a bud light can. 

Jtack not J-tacking.  First time I've ever seen his skis racked!

I guess if you drove to the end of the jeep road, the approach would be appropriate for the ski.  500 vert approach for a 500 foot ski.  The drive would be a long one though.  Earlier in the year this would be a really fun area.  Especially so if you could ski back to the car.

Walking out felt like we were on the wrong side of the tracks.  We walked back past the jeep camp and I imagine the crew at the lake got a good laugh over two knuckleheads with skis, and backpacks, and no vehicle!  It was a fun adventure into a new area and so very worth the walk. 

Tadpole pond above Gallagher Head Lake

PS: Was there a boot with the sock?

I never thought about skiing above gallagher. way to get some.

Somewhere stashed away from the high school era I have a photo standing near that summit register looking down at my old bronco. I'll have to plan a trip up next may or june in my snomorunner.

Very fun area in the winter if your snowmobile and ability level are capable of getting you there (if you have some old 120 track without much travel good luck to you).  Best to do a dawn patrol though, once the bubbas wake up it's a free for all!

It was not all skiing and Jeepen, there was flora, and fauna as well.

To the un trained observer you might think this guy had just skied 3000' of blower powder.

But not really, it was more like this;

We had a ridiculously good time, made even better by the fact we could have driven there, and plenty of people did.  We giggled and snickered all the way from the lake to the summit of Hawkins, after we saw the collection of four wheelers camping at the lake.  It really is a great spot, and I would have loved to have been there two weeks earlier, when Mike took the picture, but slim snow sure did not spoil the fun.   

The crankshaft was to put in the sock so you could beat up anybody who tried to steal your Bud Light!

Reply to this TR

hawkins-mtn-who-knew-7-27-13
mikerolfs
2013-07-28 07:48:01