Home > Trip Reports > July 22-23, 2013, Adams: Summit SW Chutes RMT

July 22-23, 2013, Adams: Summit SW Chutes RMT

7/22/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jonathan_S. on 7/27/13 7:19am
Biz mtg in Chicago, so figured if I was about halfway across the continent already, then might as well keep going, right?

On Monday, from the Cold Springs trailhead (which BTW does not seem to have been affected by the fire at all), we stayed in trail runners all the way to the ridge above the Crescent NRAG/SCG (not-really-a-glacier/so-called-glacier), which was actually quite fast despite (or because of?) pretty much no snow below the Crescent Whatever.

From there, skinned all the way to the summit with zero portages.  (Didn't leave the trailhead until almost 10, so combined with the warm weather and some recent ski tracks to skin up, didn't even bother using ski crampons.) 

The summit face, in terrible skiing condition as is typical:

Fortunately we could follow some recent tracks (kind of like €œslipping€ a race course back in my coaching days), otherwise the penitents would have been nearly unskiable.

The SW Chutes started off very nice at first for ~850' vertical, then increasingly less so, and finally oddly enough €“ or perhaps explained by the more indirect sun angle? €“ much better, with zero portages the entire way.

Stayed in town Monday night (Trout Lake Valley Inn, very nice), then repeated the same tour Tuesday, except took a ~20' portage at the very end to get in another ~100' vertical skiing.

Obligatory dorky summit self-portrait:

Obligatory shameless gear promotion shot (on the very final pitch, which despite its ugliness, actually skied fine):

Jonathan, excellent work representing the Northeastern ski community! 

I second that motion!

Jonathan ,
Are the orange tye straps a special grade I should know about or just a random color? I double as well in perceived critical situations but mostly just hook one.  :)

It's all about the orange hue -- looks fast when combined with the green boots!
(TGR is all over red boots being fast, but that's only for the down, not the combine up & down.)
The reasoning for the leash setup is something like the following:
1. Girth hitch a 3mm accessory cord loop (w/ double fisherman's) to a secure attachment point on the binding.  That way I have something for hauling or just grabbing w/o worrying about breaking free.
2. Attachment for loop is a plastic snap hook, so that I has some given in case of avy.
3. Attachment point for boot is a pair of ski resort plastic loops.  These have an advantage over zip ties since they don't need any tape to keep them from getting smaller.  One by itself is pretty weak, so good for avy terrain.  Then clip through both of them for more security when avy not a concern.

Reply to this TR

july-22-23-2013-adams-summit-sw-chutes-rmt
Jonathan_S.
2013-07-27 14:19:16