Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker skin/ski Squak July 25, 2013

Mt. Baker skin/ski Squak July 25, 2013

7/25/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by rlsg on 7/26/13 10:50pm
Skinned from 5300' above the Scott Paul up the Squak to the summit.  First time on this mountain--so glad I made the drive up from Bend.  This is one of the most amazing/scenic places I've been in recent memory--what a treasure you have here..

Lots of slots but pretty easy to get through following the boot track on upper mountain.  For some reason I was a little surprised at how broken up the Roman Wall was..not too bad skiing down it but if you didn't mind your p's and q's you could
get pretty screwed up it seems.

Had no problem ascending without a rope.   One person in the lot said I absolutely needed a rope up there!  I was a little concerned I would run into that situation and not be able to get any higher 'cause I did not have a rope'.  All of the slot crossings were still reasonably bridged so very pleased about that.

Three kids on top (snowboards and skis) and two skiers coming down as we were headed  up was It for the day..saw no ropes by the way..

What a wild place (and cute summit 'peak-let too ..oh and the view down to Baker Lake which I cooled off in..on and on...)

Voile ski crampons stayed on the whole way without a glitch--they were the ticket for sure...
Glad you had a great time; maybe we can get together next season  ;)

How was skiing, not too cuppy?

Pretty bumpy lower down and midway up.  Lumpy on Roman Wall but nice snow other-wise.  Main attraction at this time of year was the fantastic landscapes/ breath taking scenery--UNREAL!!!

I'll be 62 next year so what a treat to get up on such a cool alp..

62 means I'd be much slower than you for sure ..so I'll be starting these things much earlier as time marches on..

Thank Kenji for the excellent beta..it really made the difference!

How were the mosquitoes?    ;)
Seriously, it's good to know the Squak is in decent shape still.  Good job.

Reply to this TR

mt-baker-skin-ski-squak-july-25-2013
rlsg
2013-07-27 05:50:09