Home > Forum > Mountaineers presents: The American Alps Traverse

Mountaineers presents: The American Alps Traverse

• Kyle Miller
  • [Kyle Miller]
More
24 Jul 2013 15:56 #210233 by Kyle Miller
File Attachment:

Backcountry skiing is awesome. Covering 120-miles and 60k elevation in a single 16-day push is just plain ridiculous. Join The Mountaineers, in partnership with NWAC and the Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue Team, as we present a Picture Show by Jason Hummel and Kyle Miller chronicling their epic in the backcountry.

The show is also a fundraiser, with door proceeds and auction items going to Kyle and Jason to further their adventurous exploits, beer sales benefiting NWAC, and a raffle to raise money for HRT. You won't want to miss it!

The show will be at the Mountaineers Program Center (7700 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle). Doors open at 6:30. Picture Show to start at 7:15.

$5 Mountaineers members, $7 non-members. Please invite your friends to this event!

MORE BACKGROUND:
During the late 1980s and early 1990s, longtime Mountaineers member and current Historian Lowell Skoog became intrigued by the idea of skiing the North Cascade crest in a continuous path. He focused on the area between the North Cascades Highway and Glacier peak, calling the 100-mile route the "American Alps Traverse." Envisioning a two-week trip, he set off on his odyssey in the spring of 1991, only to come up short due to weather. Years passed. Lowell moved on to other objectives, leaving the American Alps Traverse unclimbed.

Enter Kyle Miller and Jason Hummel. A backcountry split boarder, Kyle left normal civilization behind to pursue a life in the mountains 10 years ago. Kyle met Jason in 2009, and they formed a tight partnership. A photographer and backcountry tele skier, Jason captured their adventures skiing steep lines on big mountains.

For years they joked about completing the American Alps Traverse. Then, in June 2013 they embarked on the ambitious plan. Unlike Lowell's project to ski the Cascade Crest in sections, the "American Alps Traverse" would become a continuous push from Highway 20 through Glacier Peak in a single trip. In 16-days, Kyle and Jason covered 120 miles and 60,000 feet of elevation - 1,000 knee-wrenching feet gained or lost for every mile. This is their story.

I just heard the number of tickets already sold and am astounded by how fast they are going. Both Hummel and I are putting a lot of work into this and feel that this will be the best slide show either of us has ever delivered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• powhound
  • [powhound]
More
25 Jul 2013 18:42 #210238 by powhound
Rad. If I'm in town I'll come check it out

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
25 Jul 2013 18:54 #210239 by mikerolfs

Rad.

agreed :)

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
07 Aug 2013 12:19 #210275 by danpeck
Ah Crumb,

I'm not going to be in town. I really want to see this. Any chance of another showing? ;D

• Kyle Miller
  • [Kyle Miller]
More
13 Aug 2013 16:24 #210303 by Kyle Miller
There is a chance we will be preforming it once again for the Vancouver Mountain Film Festival in Feb but nothing is confirmed.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Aug 2013 07:48 #210315 by Marcus
Great job last night Kyle and Jason! Hell of a trip.

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
15 Aug 2013 10:41 #210316 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: Mountaineers presents: The American Alps Traverse
thank you very much for keeping the summer stoke alive Kyle and Jason - and Lowell too !

More
15 Aug 2013 20:35 - 15 Aug 2013 20:44 #210321 by jtack
Jason/Kyle, and ALL (Lowell, Barnett in absentia,  the crowd, you heli rescue folks, ALL) Mike and I stayed up till way past our bed time drinking beer and Caipirinha's and buzzing from the fantastic show, you just feed the stoke. Thanks for gathering such a great crowd, for such a great vision, for such a magnificent suffer fest, the candid insight into the project, the GREAT pictures Jason, the wonderful video Kyle.  Am I gushing?  Thank You!

• danpeck
  • [danpeck]
More
17 Aug 2013 20:35 #210326 by danpeck
Soooooo bummed I missed this. Still I'm glad it was awesome and I hope to be a part of the next one

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
18 Aug 2013 15:14 #210328 by Jason_H.
Thanks everyone. It was a real pleasure. Super thrilled we were able to share the story with such an awesome group.