Home > Trip Reports > July 21, 2013, 4 crossing to paradise glacier

July 21, 2013, 4 crossing to paradise glacier

7/21/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregSimon on 7/21/13 12:48pm
Lured by recent reports of a short walk to skinnable snow, we arrived at 4th crossing about 9.  We ended up walking 45 min (over the ridge and a bit more) before snow was near-continuous.  But there were lots of wildflowers!  Paradise glacier reasonably good skiing (suncups were soft and not too big) if you avoided the raised tracks from the last few weeks.  As we crossed streams on the way out, we said two or three times "That might not go in another week."  We did see one party of two head over into the cowlitz drainage.  Maybe they'll report what they found there.  I'll post some pictures after Dave M sends me some.

I'm adding a few photos courtesy of Dave M.

The first shows the crack below the paradise glacier rock island.  It was passable to the right or left.

The second shows me surfing some of those raised ski tracks.  It was a bit lumpy - but still fun.

The third is the addition to the sign at the 4th crossing parking area.  It seems that the park rangers became concerned during Silas's seven-day occupation of the paradise glacier earlier this month.  There's now a warning to tourists not to feed or interact with the feral skier wildlife.  Be warned!
Nice update.
Thanks, Greg.
(and, yeah, Silas has been known to mooch; but then he shares well, too  ;))

Reply to this TR

july-21-2013-4-crossing-to-paradise-glacier
GregSimon
2013-07-21 19:48:28