Home > Trip Reports > July 20, 2013, Ruth Mountain (N Cascades) Update

July 20, 2013, Ruth Mountain (N Cascades) Update

7/20/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by iluka on 7/20/13 1:22pm
A quick update from Ruth Mountain in the North Cascades:

Things are a lot different than they sounded from the time of the last report buy David_Britton: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=28946.0

There is practically no snow until the top of the steep aspect you climb out of the Hannegan Pass area (which seems to get nastier every year I do this peak). From the top of that section, you can put on skis and with the exception of one 200 m section of trail and then one 5 m gap later on, you can keep skis on until the top. The photo below shows the coverage as you head towards the peak.

In addition to skiing the ascent route, it's possible to ski a continuous 1,200 foot run down  the east facing aspect coming off the summit (point it toward the Northern Picketts). The photo below is looking down this aspect from the summit.

Lots of sun cups on the ascent route and that east-facing aspect. Things softened up fine but although the cups didn't appear that big they made skinning a bit more work than usual and made for somewhat challenging and chattering turns on the tele gear. The amazing views and surprising solitude up there more than made up for the sun cup-induced problems.
Good info, Andy.  Did you go alone? 
Doesn't sound as if Ruth will be a great choice by this autumn.
We sometimes call that bit above Hannegan Pass "the Hell section"  ::)

Good to hear from you Mack!

I did Ruth last October and the slope you climb (which is due north facing) was getting little to no sun and stayed really firm... so much so I walked down it with crampons.  It was the east facing slope that was skiable at that point as it was still getting a lot of sun through the first part of the day and had softened up nicely. Some precip might help make those sun cups a little more bearable for October skiing.

Mack, I thought the new powder was worth the walk when we went there 2 Octobers ago.

But maybe something different for this year's OcTAYberfest.

Some place without the evil root grabbing gully.

Anyway I do have Ruth envy now, such a great setting and views.

Memorable Octo-pow both times James!  Last time the Hell section was frozen runnels and roots on the way up, and plunge-stepping mud with ski tails a-snagging on the return.  Totally worth it.
How about Skyliine Divide for our OcTAYberfest this year?  If I can walk that far. 
Iluka, you should definitely join us if you want a tour day in October   :)

Hey, I want in on OcTAYber pow on Ruth!  I really need to make the time to get on that one, such a classic spot.

Reply to this TR

july-20-2013-ruth-mountain-n-cascades-update
iluka
2013-07-20 20:22:37