Home > Trip Reports > July 14, 2013, Mt Baker, Stargazing on Squak

July 14, 2013, Mt Baker, Stargazing on Squak

7/14/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Kenji on 7/16/13 5:35am
Shared the parking with 100 other cars, and expected to see many companies on the slopes.  But saw only two hikers coming down and found the camp spots on the Crag View all empty.  The other people must have been on other parts of the mountain.

Skinned up a little higher for an evening run, but skiing was rough on crust cups by 8pm.  The night was calm and clear, and city lights never went away, but got a few star shots.

It seemed more crevasses are open and I had to zigzag a little more than the same time last year.  Got a little carried away coming down on great afternoon corn and ended up touring around a few big holes.

I was the last one on the summit proper, totally unexpected to be all alone. The snow was a little crunchy near the summit, but got soft halfway down the Roman Wall. Skiing was great down to ~7500' until suncups got a little bigger (~size A) but still soft.  They got progressively bigger to size B below 6000'.  Skiable nearly to the S.P. trail.  Great trip as usual, I have to make sure an annual visit.
A few more pics.  Saw a guy just parasailing off the crater.

wow those are great photos.

Second that - awesome stuff!

Thanks for your report and pics...  Looks reasonable for solo travel  it seems (if one sort of minds their p's and q's).

MANY MOSQUITOES?

Thanks for the report - love the stars!

Kenji, the photos-- WOW!!

There aren't many 'I want' things that I really want. But I really would want one of those hellracer wings - ...Wot a laugh that would be!!!!!
Wonderful photos. The 1st one is my fave...the colours...!

Thanks guys, but see what Radka saw from Shuksan on the same night! (hope she wouldn't mind..)  You can read her TR on NWHikers.

Thanks, Kenji! Your pictures are awesome!

I was taking some pictures of you from Shuksan (too funny we were both awake).

Here is a picture of Kenji looking at the Moon:

And here Kenji is about to get hit by a double shooting star:

Awesome want-to-keep-staring-at pictures all.

Reply to this TR

july-14-2013-mt-baker-stargazing-on-squak
Kenji
2013-07-16 12:35:26