Home > Trip Reports > July 12,13,14, 2013, Mts. Daniel and Hinman

July 12,13,14, 2013, Mts. Daniel and Hinman

7/12/13
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 7/15/13 1:55am
Coron Polley and I had an excellent adventure on Mts. Daniel and Hinman over the weekend.  We left Wenatchee at 3pm Friday and got back to town after dark on Sunday.  In between we skied seven runs on six glaciers.  Five of the seven runs were new to me even though I'd been to Mt. Daniel a handful of times before.   Our cumulative ski total was just over 10,000 feet over a glide path 8-1/2 miles long.  On the way to Peggy's Pond we ran into Garrettww and partner, who had just skied the East Peak of Daniel.  We met a couple camped at Squaw Lake and then had complete solitude until our return to Peggy's Pond Sunday afternoon.  Somehow I keep finding privacy in popular areas.  The skiing was excellent everywhere we went.  I can't choose a favorite run.  Here is what we did:

First we went up to the West (highest) summit of Daniel via the east peak spire variation (much nicer route than the scree trail on the south of the east peak).  From just below the west summit, we skied a run to the south toward Venus and Spade Lake. 

venus lake below.  We ran out of snow here.

Here I am at the top of the Lynch Glacier with our tracks off the summit shoulder behind me.  The west summit is just out of the picture on the right.

Next we headed to Mt. Hinman via Pea Soup Lake.  I've read other's stories of approaching Hinman via this route.  Most recently Lowell Skoog's great photo of Crispin crossing the lake on June 3rd in this TR by cprahl; http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=28759.0 .  From the top we could tell that the lake would not allow a ski crossing, but it looked like there was a snow ramp around the base of the cliffs.  We were optimistic.  The ski down the Lynch Glacier was superb.  Smooth, soft corn. 

Coron skiing the Lynch Glacier

Coron skiing the Lynch Glacier

From the about half way down it became clear that there was no easy route from here to there.  We went to the lake anyway.  No complaints as the ski was excellent, and I wanted a drink from Pea Soup Lake.

coffee break on the way back up

We still wanted to get over to Mt. Hinman, so the next thing we tried was the West Lynch Glacier.  Here is Coron scoping the route:

It looked like we could ski down the West Lynch and wrap around to the west (left in photo) to get to the Foss River valley.  Skiing was good, so we went on up to the top of the glacier before coming back down :)

That's me, looking up at Coron, who is about to get the goods on the West Lynch.  Pea Soup Lake below.

Coron with a big smile

But as luck would have it, the obvious ski line ended on a cliff band and didn't get us to the valley.  Back up a bit and try again,

cliffed out.  coming back up

what finally went through; 

red dot - bottom of the west lynch ski, cliffed out.
blue arrow, the (steep) gully that got us down
blue dot, ran out of snow, walked down from there
green dot, camp spot at the base of the Foss Glacier

We got to this camp spot around 6:30pm and thought we might still have time for a run on Mt. Hinman so we dropped our overnight gear and headed on up.  The Foss Glacier is big and broad and there is nothing scary about it at all. 

nice lighting on the way up

The summit plateau is broad with a series of rocky prominences.  We visited three before I thought to read what Beckey said about it.  The summit is the middle one.  We saw one set of boot tracks and found a really nice bivy spot constructed from wide flat rocks.

The sunset ski was wonderful

happy camp

Sunday morning started with a ski of the Lower Foss Glacier

We climbed back up our route from the day before.  Had a nice coffee break looking up at our tracks on the middle portion of the West Lynch Gl.

Next we went to the Middle summit and skied a portion of the Daniel Glacier. 

We dumped most of our gear at the top before heading down.  Here you can see Coron's tracks coming off the Middle summit area (and my pile of stuff)

Coron skiing on the Daniel Glacier

nice view on the return to the East/Middle saddle

And finally, the East Peak home ski.  I've done this one before and it is worth several repeats;

Coron on the East summit, Vivian and Spade Lakes below

Coron then me skiing toward the Hyas Creek Glacier

The whole trip was smile after smile.  Enough adventure and new views to keep us oo-ing and aw-ing, but nothing that made us pucker up too much.  As much skiing in every direction as either of us was strong enough to do.  Warm temps and good water.  It was a fabulous trip.

Parting shot:  Crest trail, back to reality.

Nice report and photos, Mike - and awesome trip! I wish we had stayed up there longer to join in on your adventure. The sunset photos are my favorites - great moon shot too! Thanks for taking the time to share.

fun to meet you on the trail, Garrett.  We saw your tracks in the exit gulley to Peggy's and followed your line from the top.  What a spot!

Inspiring:
Ramble On..... Like Led Zep on skis:

Photo of the year right here:

Awesome Mike, way to take advantage of the weather.

Great report, Mike. Garrett is right, we should have brought the overnight gear.

Garrett getting at it.

Wonderful TR and photos.  Your Vector BC's have been enjoying your routes.  ;)

Looks like Spade and Venus are melting out nicely this year. I really want to check out those lakes sometime. Should have when I climbed Daniel a few years back.

What a great trip!

Wow.  Nice trip.  It looks like your knowledge of the area paid off on some excellent runs.

I know who to call when I get around to doing Daniel...  Definitely getting to the top of my list.

Reply to this TR

july-12-13-14-2013-mts-daniel-and-hinman
mikerolfs
2013-07-15 08:55:30