Home > Trip Reports > Summer on the TFJ - July 6, 2013

Summer on the TFJ - July 6, 2013

7/6/13
Posted by stoudema on 7/8/13 11:21am
With low expectations, I headed out with rong to check out conditions on Three Fingered Jack's north side, not sure if there would be any skiing to be had.  The weather was perfect, and I figured we'd be able to eek out some turns, having visited the area the previous August and found a few suitable patches.  Still, as we shouldered our packs, expectations were low given the meager amounts of snow on the mountains west, south and east sides.  As we neared the mountain however, it became apparent we were in luck......

After evaluating options, we elected to cross the basin and climb and ski an aesthetic line on the west side of the northeast bowl.  A finger of snow looked like it would ski all the way to the bottom.  Not bad for a peak that only offers skiing from ~6900 feet.  Climbing up the snow was required given the rock scree on the surrounding slopes, and a few sections were quite steep - somewhere around 50 degrees.....

We topped out and the surrounding views were impressive.  Here's a shot looking at Mt Jefferson to the north.........

After a quick snack, we dropped in, both a bit sketched by the steepness of the slope (mostly given that a fall would mean a slide into the rocks below).  rong dropped first and ripped the corn like a beast.  Here's a few shots I snapped at various points on the run....

At the bottom, we were both stoked to have ridden such a clean line on a small peak this late in the season.  The snow conditions couldn't have been better, so we headed back up for another lap.  Here's a shot looking back up at our tracks from run number one.....

Run number two was equally as good, though this time neither of us was gripped by the slope.  I dropped in first and rong snapped a few photos......

Then I pulled out the camera and shot a few pics of rog enjoying the fine corn on the lower half of the run.....

We skied out the lower snowfield to the meadow below, bobbing and weaving through the rocks, and the snow conditions remained nice.  Here's a pic of me at the bottom of the slope....

To end the day, we hiked up to the tarn created from the "Jack" glacier.  The lake was starting to melt out, and a few lines were still skiable.  I kind of wish we would have tried a pond skim, but I'm sure it would have ended badly.....

The hike out went quickly and before long we were tipping back a well earned Oakshire IPA at the car.  Given the low expectations, I'd say it was one of my more enjoyable days of the year, and a perfect way to get my 92nd month of TAY.
Wow what a great area!  Thanks for the report and photos.

Real fun trip Stoudema.  It's always good when reality beats expectation.  Next time we need to save some time to ski that line above the tarn.  I think I will drag along the whippet, helmet, and crampons as I felt a little neck-ed on that steep pitch.  Although, with my pack hanging open (the first picture) who knows where they would have ended up.

Sure beat the heck out of Hood south side.  Thanks

Great report.  We camped in that basin last September and I was wondering if anyone ever skied up there - looked like some nice slopes for it.  Should have known that you guys would sniff it out!

Awesome report - next time go back with a PFD for the pond skim.

Reply to this TR

summer-on-the-tfj-july-6-2013
stoudema
2013-07-08 18:21:39