Home > Trip Reports > July 7, 2013, Aasgard Pass Melted out

July 7, 2013, Aasgard Pass Melted out

7/7/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 7/7/13 11:04am
Two weeks ago, Jtack and I were able to ski all the way back to Lake Colchuck.  Both coverage and ski conditions were good, so I went back on July 7 with a plan to go up Aasgard and down Colchuck Glacier.  It was obvious after just the briefest glance from the lake that this was not to be.  Here is the current condition of Aasgard Pass (on the left) and the Colchuck Glacier (right)

I went up to the upper basin anyway and found the difference in snow cover up there equally changed from last visit.  The south slopes of the upper ridge are still covered though, and I got three runs of nearly 1000' each.  Pretty good skiiing, just a big hike to get to it.

Snow in the upper basin:

I could still see the ghosts of our tracks from last visit, and there was one set of fresh turns off Little Anapurna (camper told me they were from a snowboarder yesterday).  Other than that it doesn't look like anyone has been taking advantage of the good skiing up there.

I walked down Aasgard. 
Few have your engine Mike. Nice work to ski that much that far in!

I should have met you at the trailhead.  I'd have talked you into hauling your skis along and we could have taken pictures of each other on Little Anapurna :)

Reply to this TR

july-7-2013-aasgard-pass-melted-out
mikerolfs
2013-07-07 18:04:30