Home > Trip Reports > June 30 - July 6, 2013, Paradise Glacier

June 30 - July 6, 2013, Paradise Glacier

6/30/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 7/7/13 8:31am
The Paradise Glacier below 8600' is in great shape for skinning and skiing right now, no need for crampons, minimal crevasse issues, no bugs, no stickiness, no suncups, and skiing within 10 steps of the parking lot at Fourth Crossing.  If the weather cools, the raised tracks could become a problem, but for now they are soft and easy to run right through. 

Thanks to the numerous new and old friends who joined or chatted with me during the past seven days of cell phone and internet free skiing and exploring new and old lines in the region.  The fun people and conditions made up for any regrets I may have had about not being motivated enough or strong enough to ski Rainier or Glacier peak.  Hats off to the kids who did get those accomplished!
Indeed Paradise Glacier might be of the few places remaining (if not the only one) skinnable directly from car.  Adding a picture of Silas and his crew (Art, Carl and his wife) skiing a nice line.  Thanks for letting me tag along!

Director of Fun hard at work.

Ran into Silas as we were heading up from 4th crossing he stopped to say hello this  morning.  He was leaving after 9 straight days of skiing and sleeping in his car. I almost didn't recognize him because he was so dark brown and his lips were burnt beyond bad. He looked like a escapee from devils island.
Kudos for a job well done ! His info was top notch .

author=Robie link=topic=28965.msg121861#msg121861 date=1373259158]Ran into Silas as we were heading up from 4th crossing he stopped to say hello this  morning.

He must have made the rounds more than once . . . we saw him in the 4th crossing lot too!

Cheers to the Director!

https://vimeo.com/70339216

author=snoholic link=topic=28965.msg121858#msg121858 date=1373251700]
Director of Fun hard at work.

My buddy Brian, the ranger in the middle, reports that this was his most enjoyable run this year. :)

In the beginning...

https://vimeo.com/71096116

FreeBird, thanks for the great video, it fills the need for some great ski stoke!

Reply to this TR

june-30-july-6-2013-paradise-glacier
silaswild
2013-07-07 15:31:38