Home > Trip Reports > July 3-5, 2013, Mt. Baker Squak Glacier

July 3-5, 2013, Mt. Baker Squak Glacier

7/3/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by tyreid on 7/5/13 2:46pm
Great three days on the Bakerhorn. We approached via the Easton and set up camp on one of the rock ledges beneath the Squak. Route conditions are fairly straightforward but things are evolving quickly as they do this time of year. One crevassed section around 9k and glide cracks have opened up on the Roman Wall but are still navigable on the descent. Surface conditions are pretty smooth above 7k = great July corn. Sun cups are perfectly shreddable below.

We skied off the summit on the 4th of July and then did another 2,000' run above camp this morning before skiing out.

More photos on
Looks great!--as per my usual question:  How were the mosquitoes?

Aaaa, I'm jealous.

I tried hard to find a partner to go July 1 and 2 but had no luck.  It's looking good.  I might miss the squak this year.  Hopefully I'll get it next year.

If I can get a mosquito report, I might make the drive from Bend this weekend....

Also, will the NW Forest Pass suffice or does one need to pick up a permit away from the trail head somewhere (where is that 'somewhere'?).

Thanks in advance.

NW Forest Pass is good there.

Thanks on that pass information---

Any tricks or best times for driving up through notorious Seattle traffic  coming up from Portland, Oregon?

author=rlsg link=topic=28960.msg121880#msg121880 date=1373320620]
Any tricks or best times for driving up through notorious Seattle traffic  coming up from Portland, Oregon?

Best bet is between 10 AM and 3 PM.

Or during the dark hours of summer,  say 9 PM to 6 AM.

No mosquitos anytime.   ;)

Reply to this TR

july-3-5-2013-mt-baker-squak-glacier
tyreid
2013-07-05 21:46:28