Home > Trip Reports > July 4 , 2013, Mt. Rainier, Muir Snowfield

July 4 , 2013, Mt. Rainier, Muir Snowfield

7/4/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by MNMike on 7/5/13 4:07am
My friend Thomas and I decided to head up to the Muir snowfield for some July 4th turns, and some Brats and Beer. The trip was extra fun because Thomas just moved to WA from CO last winter and hadn't yet been up to Rainier or done any snowboarding in the summer out here.
Snow cover was somewhat spotty on the way up, though Thomas and I figured we'd be able to ski and ride most of the way back to the car. We made our way up to Panorama point by about 8:30, watching a few people ski past along the way. (Probably Kintvt and her friend, haha!). The snow was great for kick-stepping, though a little icy in spots, and transitioning from snow to the panorama point trail, which is now fairly melted out, was a bit of a trick, but not too bad.

The clouds were hovering just below Panorama Point for most of the day, having rolled in an hour or two before we arrived at Paradise, and they helped keep the sun from baking the lower elevation snow into a mire of mush, which worked out great.

My friend resting around Panorama Point before we continued on. Snow melt was fairly similar to last year around Panorama Point and Pebble Creek, about half trail, half snow, unlike lower down where one would have a hard time not making a few carries to get back to the car around Paradise whereas last year only PP was melted out by the 4th.

The snow was lightly suncupped, which dissipated as we hiked up. As anyone who has been to the snowfield before is familiar with, there are many well established bootpacks and a few glissades, especially over the rollers by pebble creek.

Around 11 or so we stopped. The sun had finally baked the snow enough that it felt like it would soon be time to ski down. We sat down a bit below Moon Rocks and cooked some brats and had some adult sodas to celebrate the 4th in style before we turned around and skied back down. The snow wasn't perfect, but it was pretty amazing none the less. Great cruising snow and awesome weather to enjoy it in.

Here's a shot of my friend lower down on the snowfield. Within about 300 feet of pebble creek, things began to get a bit sticky and overly mushy, but it was still fine for getting down. After that we did a few short carries and slides down Panorama Point and then from below Panorama Point we only had two more short carries, one about 3/4 of the way down, and one back to the car. My guess is within the next week or two I'd expect to see a lot more of the paths and meadow, and a lot less snow.
All in all another great 4th of July on Rainier!
author=DrNikolai link=topic=28957.msg121828#msg121828 date=1373051275]
We made our way up to Panorama point by about 8:30, watching a few people ski past along the way.  (Probably Kintvt and his friend, haha!).

And her friend!  But yep, that was us; I remember seeing you two on the way up. 

Agreed, the transition to the summer trail up to Panorama Point was a little sketchy.   Nice touch with the brats for the 4th of July!

Fixed it! Sorry haha, my bad.
Anyway, yeah, hoping to make 4th of july ski tours a tradition. I did one last year too. It's a great way to kick off summer right.

Reply to this TR

july-4-2013-mt-rainier-muir-snowfield
MNMike
2013-07-05 11:07:55