Home > Trip Reports > July 3-4, 2013, Paradise upwards, + the Milky Way

July 3-4, 2013, Paradise upwards, + the Milky Way

7/3/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by knitvt on 7/4/13 9:14am
A friend and I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful weather and get into the mountains, but I€™m still recovering from mono and he€™d been under the weather as well, so we came up with a plan that would work for our current fitness levels and maximize awesomeness: skin up towards Pan Point in the evening, camp, enjoy the stars, get up early to watch the sun rise, and then continue up to Muir and get some good skiing in.

The evening started out well as we happened to meet Silas for the first time in the parking lot. It was a hoot, one might say. 

Skinning up in the evening (at our turtle pace) was just lovely.  It was clear and it felt like we had the mountain to ourselves.  Sunset was beautiful in all directions; Adams made an appearance.

Anyone have any idea what the line in the sky in the picture below is?  It€™s not an artifact from the photo; we saw it with our eyes too.  Our best guess was an odd-looking trail from a plane, but it didn€™t seem quite right to me. It almost looked like a shadow; very curious.

The skies were forecasted to be clear, and the moon was nearly new, so it was the perfect night to haul up the good camera and attempt to take pictures of the Milky Way.  Our universe is beautiful.

Conveniently waking up just before 5am, we were treated to a gorgeous sunrise complete with a sliver of moon from the comfort of our sleeping bags.

However, neither of us had managed to sleep particularly well, so given our less-than-ideal fitness levels, we decided to scrap the plan to continue up to Muir.  So, we had a leisurely morning enjoying the views of Adams, St. Helens, and Hood, as well as some cheeky marmots and birds.  The ski down was not the most awesome given that it was about 8am and the snow hadn€™t softened yet, but it was still great to be on skis.  And we encountered a ptarmigan midway down!  As well as many folks heading up for another beautiful day on the mountain, and Silas once again in the parking lot!  Despite not making it up to Muir, it was a really excellent trip.

Aside from a short carry from the parking lot, and about a 30€™ carry mid-trail (which I think can actually still be avoided), snow is still continuous from Paradise to the summer trail to Pan Point.
Nice, looks like a very enjoyable way to do it.

The line you saw is the shadow of the mountain. Or more specifically, it's the edge of the three-dimensional shadow of the mountain as it is cast through the air. If you trace it back, it will lead directly to the summit (and then the sun beyond that).

Here's a similar effect I saw at sunset from the east side of Shasta:

more info

It was a hoot, one might say. 

Hoot of a coot ! As I might say

author=frankfrank link=topic=28950.msg121811#msg121811 date=1373000483]
The line you saw is the shadow of the mountain. Or more specifically, it's the edge of the three-dimensional shadow of the mountain as it is cast through the air. If you trace it back, it will lead directly to the summit (and then the sun beyond that).

Neat!  Thanks for the information!

the picture of the milky way is over the top !

author=Robie link=topic=28950.msg121815#msg121815 date=1373031586]
the picture of the milky way is over the top !

Thanks!  It was really exciting that it turned out well.  We happened to have stashed our gear in a way that created a great silhouette, and the mesh-topped tent made for a neat effect with the stars.

Reply to this TR

july-3-4-2013-paradise-upwards-the-milky-way
knitvt
2013-07-04 16:14:54