Home > Trip Reports > July 2, ONP, Klahane Ridge... lots of melting

July 2, ONP, Klahane Ridge... lots of melting

7/2/13
WA Olympics
Posted by danpeck on 7/2/13 7:54am
Just did a quick morning trip with Randobro up to Klahane Ridge.

We skied from the higher patches of snow in the basin, scoped out the long Couloir off of Klahane ridge I've been eyeing for a couple of months.  Hiked back out and skied the couloir--which was very sun cupped and firm adventure skiing.  But I did it!  And it isn't going to last much longer.  Days and it will be gone.

Skied from the second highest finger of snow in this image for the first run.

Spied that our Couloir was in, but greatly reduced from two weeks ago.  Does anyone know the name of this thing?  It should have a name.

Looking down from the top.

Nice views

Goats still around.  We counted 8 in the group today.

Psycho Chutes are melting.  I'm hoping the OP road will open soon so we can get to those fast

Looks like great local terrain.  I'll have to get out to the peninsula one of these springs.  Nice pics!

Yea,  awesome terrain out here.  Takes a little work to get to some of it, and you definitely know about that.  But what we did today is probably among the most accessible alpine backcountry skiing locations in the state.  It's literally 1.5 miles from the road to Victor Pass where innumerable options unfold.

Dan that looks like a great spot, maybe not low hanging fruit, but not bad. thanks for the post

Looks like you guys had a fun day Dan, glad you got to ski that line before it melted out.  :D

Sounds like the Obstruction Pt road still holds quite a bit of snow on the switchback climb near Eagle Pt. The Park doesn't have any plans to plow at all this summer, so the best chance for skiing Elk Mountain is to make the hike from Deer Park...................

Gary

a couple shots of the author...

Nice work. It looks pretty stiff. Glad you had a chance to ski it before it melted out!

Reply to this TR

july-2-onp-klahane-ridge-lots-of-melting
danpeck
2013-07-02 14:54:58