Home > Trip Reports > June 30, 2013, - Eldorado Peak

June 30, 2013, - Eldorado Peak

6/30/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 6/30/13 1:10pm

Eldorado Creek basin.

I skied the normal route on Eldorado Peak on Sunday. Several climbing parties were up there but only one other slider (a splitboarder).

Once you pass the evergreen band above the boulder field in Eldorado Creek basin, you hit continuous snow. Below about 6200ft (the elevation of the Roush-Eldorado divide) the snow is sun-cupped. Above that elevation it is mostly smooth summer snow. A little sticky but pretty good skiing.

Wanting to beat the heat, I drove to the parking area Saturday night and bivied at my car. I started hiking at 5:30 a.m. I tried a different method to carry my boots (see photo below) which worked very well in the woods. This arrangement (which requires a long strap for each boot) reduces the boot wingspan to shoulder width. No more snagging on narrow passages. By strapping the boot cuff against the Dynafit pincers, the boot didn't seem to pivot too much.

Forbidden Cirque from east ridge of Eldorado.

I reached the summit around 10 a.m. The cornice on the south side of the summit crest is the largest I can remember. Ten to fifteen feet down on the north side, there are some incipient cracks which make me wonder if the whole thing could fall off. Unfortunately, the slope gets quite steep on the "safe" (north) side of the cracks, so all the climbers were stopping and hanging out between the cracks and the cornice. That seemed like a bad idea to me. Be cautious up there. I'll be curious to know how the ridge crest evolves as the summer goes on.

Nice easy skiing on the way down. Not so much fun in the suncup zone. The descent of the boulder field was very warm, but not nearly so warm as Marblemount when I stopped for a burger and fries. It's a cooker out there.

"The Eldorado carry."

Nice carry system.  I'm going to try it.

Thanks for the Beta.  I'm debating where to go tomorrow and this could be a good option.

Thanks for the cool report and pics...

How were the mosquitoes (I hate 'em...)

The run out is everything  if you aren't sure about not sliding all the way to the bottom--serious consequneces....  Do you really think you could self arrest with axe of whippet...false sense of security?  Hummmm

oops sorry...meant for that Dege Avajane report

Lowell, thanks for the report, another storied spot I need to ski.  I think your boot carry is a little better than binding mounted.  Me, I would rather eat dirt than fight my skies through brush, and almost always carry them on my shoulder unless I'm on steep terrain.  That also makes room on the outside, back of my pack to put my boots, making them less susceptible to brush snagging as well.  There are a few down sides, one of which is cracking your skiing partner in the head when you switch shoulders, like I did to Mike on our Dragontail ski.  If you have a tall pack that makes it a pain as well.   

I like that your modified carry prevents tree debris from falling into your boots.  I have two daypacks that I use, both of which allow carrying the boots inside the pack.  A benefit of smaller feet maybe.

Thanks for the report.  On the same weekend I found suncups on the Lyman and Spider Glaciers below 6500'.  I found them easier to ski in a telemark stance than two footed.

author=jtack link=topic=28924.msg121724#msg121724 date=1372714362]
like I did to Mike on our Dragontail ski. 

It didn't hurt :)

Lowell I really like the look of that carry system.  That same "trail" turned my gray boot cuffs brown about a month ago, even after arraigning the skis together vertically on the back of the pack.

Somewhat related question for everyone: in the hideous boulder field there is a distinct "step".  The cairns lead to a wet bedrock step that is a bit treacherous to descend with skis on back.  I tried a different way up the step while going uphill that turned downright dangerous for 2 moves.  The question is, if you stay in the woods can you climb easily above this step and enter the boulder field above it (a bit below the large cliff buttress?)

WAS HOPING FOR A MOSQUITO QUANTITY/ISSUE REPORT...

THANKS FOR THE SEATTLE MOSQUITO UPDATE THOUGH - ::)

author=rlsg link=topic=28924.msg121888#msg121888 date=1373329984]
WAS HOPING FOR A MOSQUITO QUANTITY/ISSUE REPORT...

No mosquitos on June 30 that I recall.

author=Jonn-E link=topic=28924.msg121798#msg121798 date=1372958751]
Somewhat related question for everyone: in the hideous boulder field there is a distinct "step".  The cairns lead to a wet bedrock step that is a bit treacherous to descend with skis on back.  I tried a different way up the step while going uphill that turned downright dangerous for 2 moves.  The question is, if you stay in the woods can you climb easily above this step and enter the boulder field above it (a bit below the large cliff buttress?)

The only bedrock step that I recall is pretty low in the boulder field, where it is somewhat brushy. Right?  I know the tricky bit, but I've never looked for a different way. I can't suggest an alternative, unfortunately. During this
latest trip the holds seemed more abundant than I remembered. Maybe worth another try...

Reply to this TR

june-30-2013-eldorado-peak
Lowell_Skoog
2013-06-30 20:10:21