Home > Trip Reports > June 28 - Sunrise opening (Huckleberry chutes)

June 28 - Sunrise opening (Huckleberry chutes)

6/28/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by SlowWalker on 6/30/13 3:24am
Very happy to have been able to make opening day for Sunrise.  The snow is melting fast, though, and there is already a lot less of it than the opening days the last few years.

We set out as a group of 6 from the lot about 9am under clear, sunny skies.   Mt Rainier held a cloud on its summit.  We skinned up to a low spot on the ridge, but could barely string together enough continuous snow to stay on our skis.  Things looked better on the other side of the ridge, though, so we dropped into the farthest east chute and had our first run done less than 30 minutes from the car.

The sun cups in the basin were pretty entertaining as we skinned up the basin tourist-style and then climbed the farthest west slope for our second run.  We skied skier right about halfway back to our first chute and found a nice place to set a boot track back to the top.  After a lunch break we found the best chute of the day right off of the summer trail along the ridge and skied it twice more, re-using our boot track each time.

Everyone had a great time and the kids proved to be strong climbers and had a great time too.

, on Flickr

Hey!  Nice meeting you too.  That's you crossing the deep sun cups.

That looks like great fun! Makes me lonesome for my kid to ski with, enjoy, they slip away all too soon!

that was a fun day my friend and the kids were awesome booting up those chutes.
thank you for the cinematography on the final lap!
the lot 4 parking area at sunrise was supreme and allowed skinning right from truck.
nice capture of the scary fox on the Kodachrome camera, the wildlife were spooked ::)

lets get the gang together again
bF

Reply to this TR

june-28-sunrise-opening-huckleberry-chutes
SlowWalker
2013-06-30 10:24:14