Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2005, Naches Bowl, Chinook Pass

June 1, 2005, Naches Bowl, Chinook Pass

6/1/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by MW88888888 on 6/1/05 6:19am
Day 60
6-1-05
Naches Peak Bowl, Chinook Pass
500 VF (Ridge 5,800' - Upper Tipsoo Lake 5,300')

June!  Day 60!  

The Winter of our Discontent is behind us...ahead the Summer of Renewed Hope.  

For a few weeks there in March I didn't think I'd be skiing in June below 6k, but here it is...

Stopped on my way back from Yakima today and walked up (in t-shirt and sunglasses, of course) the bowl just above tipsoo lake.

After 450 miles of driving, 20 feet from the highway I'm in a beautiful alpine bowl with spotty sun and misty clouds swirling around the pass.  All is behind and forgotten.  I huff my way up the corn snow to the ridge and have to put my jacket on once I reach the ridgeline.  Below, 500 VF of sloppy corn.  

Good dancing turns down to the lake and practically to the bumper of my car.  How 'bout them apples?  Not so much snow left except for fanatics, New Englanders and collectors of the esoteric.

But turns in June, nontheless.

Now that's what I call jonesing for some turns and having an eye to meet the need.  SWEEEEET!!! ;D :D

Good job MW88888888.
I have been skiing that line for the last few weekends and it is melting out quickly. It is a great short ski!
I am hesitant to climb up the snow strip because the cornices are ripe to drop like rotten pears from a tree. Note the cracks/separations behind the cornices and some debris that has broken off and slid down the bowl.
FYI-Safer option for those interested is to go around the Summer trail on the South side going to Dewey Lake and follow the goat trail along the SW ridge to the chute. Be cautious of flower trampling on the goat trail. That may take a few minutes longer, but provide less exposure time under those cornices. ;)
Joe

Always good to hear a fellow snow lover had a successful outing. I was up there 5-27 & 5-29, did Muir  5-30. I parked at the pass on south side of road & have been touring south, around the corner of Naches to a nice bowl. It's a nice lap-able 500' or more vert, but it's not the same bowl as in your photo. There's more snow and no lake at the bottom of the bowl I've been enjoying. Where did you park? A bit west of the pass at the bottom of the bowl the road passes? I'll study the topo map I have at home and probably find Tipso lake is it? Either way, it's great snow can still be found this low. People in town don't believe me!

gravyb - the West side of the pass is where this shot is taken - you'll see lakes on topo when you check it out.  It's the bowl tucked in on the SW side of Naches.  the bowl you speak of (good fun indeed) I believe is the SE quadrant of Naches.

thanks to Chinook Pass. Really saved my spring this year. Five weekends along with 2 overnighters in late April thru May. I was just looking at some old photos from 6-23-2002. So much snow it would make you cry.

Nice ! Was it about 3 years ago ? June 11th almost a foot of freshies up there. Of course it goes sour quickly. My strategy for that was park the car just east of the bridge and imediately drop into the "valley of no return." and ski down to the American.
Does anybody remember what a road cut is ?

Road Cut, n
A compilation of B side type songs, often recorded live, used to entertain traveling motorists.  :D

Really though, temps are nice and cool today! My pal wants to do Muir or Inter G tomorrow. But if it's socked-in weather, Chinook still has enough snow to be a safer navigation-wise alternative...

Reply to this TR

june-1-2005-naches-bowl-chinook-pass
MW88888888
2005-06-01 13:19:11