Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2013, Mt Baker via the Squak

June 22, 2013, Mt Baker via the Squak

6/22/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Chuck C on 6/23/13 6:51am
JR, Andrea and I headed up to Crag View in drizzle/mist/rain and set up camp.  Clouds started to break around 10pm for a nice sunset.

Woke up to FOG.  Went on fog delay for a bit and then emerged from camp at 0830.  Easy skinning all the way to the top.  Never had to do anything with the crampons except carry them.  No cracks open on the route but lots of weird wind sculpting made you wonder if it was a crack or not.  There is a crack right along the caldera deck that was getting people (including me).  No prob skinning the wall.

Ski down was on a variety of snow.  Ranging from pretty nice up top and down low to "this sucks" when we hit the greenhouse fog bank.  After packing up camp we headed down through soft yet highly cupped snow.  It skied better than you'd expect, but you wouldn't be expecting much to start with.

Reached the beer about 730pm.  Great day.

Some pics courtesy of JR.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckcphotos/sets/72157634291972330/
My poles made it into your summit shot, I think. The skiing might not have been optimal, but it was infinitely better than downslogging in knee-deep slush.

My TR is here:

http://www.cascadeclimber.com/blog/?p=357

Aww, so close to meeting the legend.  I suppose if I were more social.  By the way, we liked your skis.

author=Chuck C link=topic=28876.msg121507#msg121507 date=1372036917]
Aww, so close to meeting the legend.

Ha!

I suppose if I were more social.

That's my line.

By the way, we liked your skis.

Thanks! I really, really like them. Not that I'm a ski expert, but they are certainly the best of what I've used.

Chuck, a very fun trip!  You forgot to mention the fun of finding the obvious bootpack out of the Squak... still not sure how to get out of there gracefully.

CascadeClimber, read your blog entry, how funny, overheard you talking about hashtags as I was puffing my way to the summit...

JR

Chuck, was it you that gave me and my buddy an Alaskan Summer Ale at about 7:45 as we trudged by your car? If so, it was greatly appreciated.

Great day to be out skiing!

Yes it was.  You looked like you'd earned it.

author=CascadeClimber link=topic=28876.msg121500#msg121500 date=1372027564]
My poles made it into your summit shot, I think.

..and the top of one of my ski bases! Haha!

Great day with the usual Bellingham Lovefest on the summit plateau.

Reply to this TR

june-22-2013-mt-baker-via-the-squak
Chuck C
2013-06-23 13:51:46