Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2013, Mount Scott, Crater Lake NP

June 22, 2013, Mount Scott, Crater Lake NP

6/22/13
OR elsewhere
Posted by Oregonist on 6/23/13 4:28am
Skied Mount Scott's northeast bowl yesterday. Lightly cupped, but melting fast. I hiked in from 6200' at the east boundary, but Rim Drive should be opening shortly (it opened to bikes yesterday), which will enable some easy laps while the snow lasts.

Crater Lake was spectacular as always. Glassy smooth. Saw a "fire rainbow" from the summit.

Full TR here: http://www.oregonist.com/2013/06/mount-scott.html

Thank you for sharing, Oregonist. You've got some great photos in the full TR on your website. Love the play on depth of field (branch with Crater Lake in the background) and your dog in the mirror ;-) Of course, the fire rainbow is phenomenal - last one I saw was in Mammoth Lakes, CA, years ago. Cheers...

Thanks for the timely report and pics..  Got some free time so I just might head down there now that I know there is still enough snow (plus we could get new snow above 7k this week) that is, if we ever get fair weather again.  How were the 'skitters?

I should have mentioned the skitters were out in force below 7500 feet, so bring lots of deet and/or nets.

The north side looks great if you have the time (I did not). Some of the West Rim Drive peaks still look to be skiable too.

MtnPavlas, thanks for the comment-- the quality of pics totally depends on how inspired I am to pull the SLR out of my pack! (The iPhone 5 performs admirably for its size, but leaves much to be desired in terms of control.)

I've been looking for a way to keep my SLR accessible on ski tours without having it dangling from my neck. Do you (or anyone) have ideas?

Reply to this TR

june-22-2013-mount-scott-crater-lake-np
Oregonist
2013-06-23 11:28:33