Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2013, Paradise

June 22, 2013, Paradise

6/22/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 6/23/13 12:49am
We took advantage of the sunshine/long day; Susan got her first full Muir double, I opted for a shorter middle lap (data analysis is bad for conditioning!). New/old snow made for slightly variable skiing. Wax was worthwhile. Stickiest in the afternoon; bailed from the chute entrance as no-bueno at ~4 pm.  Chutes were fun,  as was the snowfield. Muir to Paradise is sensibly best done with a few carries, though old hands can still find a way, especially via Edith Creek basin.  Convective clouds looked spooky, but dissipated before anything got real.

Fun to catch up with friends doing the same!
That sluff photo is excellent!

Lots of smooth snowfield most of the way, but very and variably grabby on the thin layer of new snow on the low angle slopes. The face of pan point was more fun, using the narrow chute along side a deep glissade trench. The narrow on-snow approach to the skier's left face will be melted out in a day or two, and the other one already requires a hop over some grass.  Marmots sun bathing on the melted out hill below. Still all-snow to the Visitors Center lot from there. 

author=mikerolfs link=topic=28874.msg121485#msg121485 date=1372008900]
That sluff photo is excellent!

My thoughts exactly - great textbook shot.

Thanks! There's something cool about the upper edge of the sluffs that kept catching my eye. It's a little like the main terminal roof at DIA....

Reply to this TR

june-22-2013-paradise
Charlie Hagedorn
2013-06-23 07:49:21