telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/24/17, 08:43 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2013 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2013 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Mazama to Panorama Point 6/21/13
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mazama to Panorama Point 6/21/13  (Read 1519 times)
Olden Sloe
1Member

Mazama to Panorama Point 6/21/13
« on: 06/22/13, 03:01 PM »

The good news: The road from Paradise to the Mazama Ridge parking area is now open. The bad news: They opened it after I hauled all my stuff down the road.
Heading up Mazama Ridge, snow was pretty bumpy and dirty but my skis stayed fairly clean on the trip down, perhaps because I've totally removed the wax. Above about 5500 feet, snow was much better, allowing a smooth trip down from the ridge. Typical spring firm-packed most of the way up, but starting at 6500 feet or so it got deeper and looser, probably from Thursday's snowfall. My trip down from 7000 feet was steep and soft enough that I released lots of rolling snowballs and was glad I brought my float pack (I'm old & super-cautious). Here's a link to my route (I turned on the GPS about 2/3 of the way up):
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2299988
My plan was to reach the freeway of people skinning to Muir, but I turned around at 7000 because I wasn't sure of the safest route (see first picture below). The summer trail goes between the rocky areas, from right to left at the "?" symbol. There were some boot prints through the snow there that ended at the rocks. I'm wondering if anyone has skinned up or skied down just below the rocks to avoid the walk? I was tempted to follow that route (see the second picture), but was spooked by the lack of tracks since I was alone. See third picture for a third option that was skied down by some people much braver than I am, considering the 20-foot cliff above the rocks.
If anyone has traveled this route, please offer advice since I'd like to try it again in a week or so!

* Which_route_to_top3.jpg (74.34 KB, 801x269 - viewed 339 times.)

* Pan_Pt__summer_trail3.jpg (62.39 KB, 784x317 - viewed 336 times.)

* Ice_cliff3.jpg (44.91 KB, 776x291 - viewed 353 times.)
« Last Edit: 06/22/13, 03:04 PM by Olden Sloe » Logged
Andrew Carey

Re: Mazama to Panorama Point 6/21/13
« Reply #1 on: 06/22/13, 03:42 PM »

Last time we skied it, a week ago, we could skin up to the right in the 1st picture (just barely enough snow and 1 short carry).  We went all the way to McClure and skied down the roll and to skier's right around the blow hole in the 3rd pic.  A common descent from Muir snowfield is around skier's right of McClure, then under the rock and down skier's left (similar to summer trail); but that varies a lot with snow conditions.  This year a number of people have come down skier's left of McClure.  To go above McClure, I would head up to the right of the rock, then go below it and continue around skier's left; there are other avenues as well; just depends on snow conditions, amount of rock exposed, and weather.  But if you want to join the hoards, it is easier (faster, less climbing, more direct) just to follow them up from P'dise pkg lot.

btw, saw your tracks this a.m. on my way from 4th Xing to P'dise Glacier :-)
« Last Edit: 06/22/13, 03:46 PM by Andrew Carey » Logged

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.