Home > Trip Reports > June 21, 2013, Silver slopes

June 21, 2013, Silver slopes

6/21/13
Posted by silaswild on 6/21/13 10:36am
Road drivable half a mile or more beyond Windy Pass and the PCT.  Then Some walking but not brushy to reach the entrance to the lower north basin.  Good corn and the weather is clearing.  Come on up for solstice skiing and party.
Thank you, Silas, for the teaser. Anyone up for a dawn patrol tomorrow (Sat)... gotta be back in Bellevue at 2 pm...

Can the guy (Francois?) who picked up Tim's Sonycam and Lumix lens near the cars please post or PM me so we can get it back to him?  Thanks.

Sorry I missed it this year, though we had fun at home with friends instead. Were any of the lines into the NE basin still worthy? Like that one you like just up over the treed(ish) knoll from that first drop off the ridge?

How big was the celebration?

Good turnout - I'd guess 15-20 folks for the snow portion and 10-15 who stuck around for the post-sunset campfire. It was nice finally putting faces to usernames and even nicer having a well-tread track and bootpack to follow.

Jim - there was one main line in that area, but it's going fast. Probably best advised to climb your line to make sure it actually goes (then lap via the easier route up the NW bowl).

I think this about sums it up:

some kinda evenings are just blase, this one was on fire.
left top early in order to get out before dark with my young group but did enjoy sunset from a nice point in the meadows.
saw most everyone either up top or on way down so that was nice:-)

maybe one more left in me silas;-)
b

author=silaswild link=topic=28866.msg121462#msg121462 date=1371917469]
Can the guy (Francois?) who picked up Tim's Sonycam and Lumix lens near the cars please post or PM me so we can get it back to him?  Thanks.

Silas, I work with Francois.  I'll talk to him on Monday about getting back Tim's gear.

We got a late start.  We reached the ridge just as the masses were skiing down and were the last ones down I think.  It sure got dark fast.

-Melissa

glad i heard about this gathering at the last minute in time to pack up my family into the parts van and get up there  to watch the sunset from the drive in.  i feel like i've neglected the snoqualmie pass area this season, so it was cool to check out a new zone and camp with some new folks.  we had a great time.

my attempt to capture the solstice supermoon... one of these days i'll remember to bring a tripod.

scott & i went for a morning lap before heading back to town to catch "mighty high" playing an irie set at the fremont solstice parade.  thanks pavlas (?) for the picture.

rainier and annette lake.

what better way to celebrate summer than riding in shorts.

wendy the parts van got a chance to go out and play with her favorite driver stefanie while the syncro is up on stands.

sorry i didn't make it up for the sunset run, but it was cool hanging out with y'all for the evening.  thanks for bringing the firewood!

Few more pics from Solstice - Skied even nicer next day after everyone graciously groomed the runnels

I'm sorry I missed the Solstice night party, but even the next day it sure was still lively up there. Silver Peak simply refuses to give up the "most popular place" title this year.

Good running into a few new folks (Ben and Scott - thanks for the picture... looks like yours came out quite nicely, too ;-)

It was a glorious day - ran into a few non-skiers... looks like everyone wanted to take advantage of the short sunny window.

It sure was baking up there...

A few more days left in the Silver Peak cirque...

one more mission this week then it is volcano season for a day.
b

Fun times Friday night.  We went back on Saturday.  The route up the PCT and up the rib between streams was way nicer (and somewhat shorter) than the road, and we got an extra est. 250' of skiing on the descent.

Very nice, looks like it was a beautiful evening. Can't imagine there were too many people up skiing a mountain across the ol' US of A that night, how cool is that.

author=Big Steve link=topic=28866.msg121535#msg121535 date=1372093807]
Fun times Friday night.  We went back on Saturday.  The route up the PCT and up the rib between streams was way nicer (and somewhat shorter) than the road, and we got an extra est. 250' of skiing on the descent.

i will test this route tomorrow after nopostholio investigates today, thanks steve.
bobby

Reply to this TR

june-21-2013-silver-slopes
silaswild
2013-06-21 17:36:39