Home > Trip Reports > Hart Mountain, OR ski explorations March-May 2013

Hart Mountain, OR ski explorations March-May 2013

5/15/13
OR elsewhere
Posted by Glacierbrains on 6/19/13 5:55am
Just back from a three-month sojourn in SE Oregon and NW Nevada, I wanted to document a bit of this parallel universe of real cowboys and the remote high sage steppe in the days of winter's last storms. Hart Mountain is an ancient, eroded fault block of volcanic rock reaching the 8000 foot mark. It is home to large herds of migrant pronghorn antelope, and resident bighorn sheep. The terrain that holds the most snow is generally on the mellow side, with descents topping out at around 1500 feet of sustained vertical. Later in the season, there was a LOT of approach hiking. You might say that it is Steen's Mountain's little sibling, as the two mountains are quite similar in many respects, although Hart was not nearly as glaciated as "The Steens" in the past. I do believe that there were pocket glaciers on Hart during the last ice age.
Unfortunately, all of my image files are way too big. Anyone know any tricks for making picture files smaller on iphoto?

Select the image you want, then pick "Export" from the File menu, choose the "File Export" tab, and select Kind: JPEG, JPEG Quality: High (or Medium if necessary), Size: Custom with Max dimension of 800 px.

That should produce files that are small enough to upload to TAY.

Hart Mountain is pretty cool, I've driven through the area twice in years past on the way out to Steens Mountain from Klamath Falls. Not much snow those times though, in early summer.

author=Glacierbrains link=topic=28856.msg121384#msg121384 date=1371714668]
Thanks, Amar! The first image is the Warner Peak area of Hart Mountain. The Second photo is of a major ski bowl near the summit of Warner Peak. The third photo is Steen's Mountain from near Warner Peak

Reply to this TR

hart-mountain-or-ski-explorations-march-may-2013
Glacierbrains
2013-06-19 12:55:04