Home > Trip Reports > june 15, adams sw chutes

june 15, adams sw chutes

6/15/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by bs. on 6/19/13 2:51am
despite the slightly ominous weather forecast, i headed down to mt adams to meet up with my buddy who was coming up from reno.  when we arrived friday evening, the ranger told some horror stories about the cold springs trailhead, so we opted to camp elsewhere.  boy were we glad when we showed up at the th around 5am to see a crazy mess of cars parked in ditches and people sleeping right in the road.

neither of us had ever been here before, but the trail was quite obvious and the going was so easy that i wore my sneakers all the way up to the "lunch counter" area before finally taking the boots off my pack.

after telling ken over and over that we'd likely be climbing in zero viz and rain, we were pleasantly surprised by the weather.

the going was so easy that i put my new ski crampons on just to test fit them and then immideiately took them off.  we were at the false summit by noon, and the corn was nowhere near ready, so ken enjoyed the view while i went to tag the true summit.

glad to not be on rainier today...

by 2pm the corn was ready and so were we.

all the stories i'd heard were true--the sw chutes are fun to ride!  (though more of a "face" than "chutes" in my book)

some light shenanigans ensued as we tried to find the best way back to the south rib.

it took us longer than expected to traverse back around (maybe we dropped too low?) but the burn made the going quite easy.

the trailhead looked like a war zone, with cars strewn precariously between burned out trees, tents set up on piles of rocks, and gear hung to dry on charred and ash covered logs.  so we hopped in the van and drove 20 minutes back to our super posh campsite from the night before.

it was great to explore a new volcano with one of my original touring partners.  on the way home i remembered that my last ride of the previous season was on
Great TR and pics.  You running TLT5s on a splitty?

author=r1de link=topic=28855.msg121363#msg121363 date=1371666852">
You running TLT5s on a splitty?

i was using TLT5 boots for awhile.... but then during the 4 day osceola traverse they gave me frostbite on 3 toes.  after that, i get excruciating pain whenever i wear them.  so now i'm trying out a pair of the dynafit "one" boots.  they are much warmer and more comfortable than the TLT5s, but this was my 2nd day in them (rode baker a couple weeks ago) and i still feel like i can't ride at all!!  something about the higher cuff and less flexibility makes them really tough to turn a snowboard in.  not sure what i'm going to try next.....

Ugh, that sucks - sorry about the cold injury.  I'm planning on upgrading my splitty boots very soon, but not ready to go with hard; about to order the Deeluxe Spark XVs.

Reply to this TR

june-15-adams-sw-chutes
bs.
2013-06-19 09:51:12