Home > Trip Reports > June 16, 2013, Glacier Peak on Fathers Day

June 16, 2013, Glacier Peak on Fathers Day

6/16/13
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Kyle Miller on 6/18/13 5:32am
Found it fitting to ride the slopes of Glacier Peak on fathers day and found a few inches of pow on top. The days weather was hit and miss with sunshine and the occasional clouds as we made our way out of the Dakobeds and up the Cool Glacier. Once arriving on the Col and switching to boot packing the weather changed dramatically and we were climbing in an all out snowstorm with thunder in the distance. You could hear the hum of electricity on our gear as we made the summit and the clouds gave way to sunshine.

We made the decision to ride the Sitkum glacier which delivered a few inches of pow directly off the summit before it became a pollen straightline fest down lower. Countinous snow down to the old Glacier Basin campgrounds the snow slowly gives way in the steep tree line. The thunderstorm hit hard right as we started bushwhacking down the valley and was a surreal experience.

Approach Details: Epic Slog
Deproach Details: The Kennedy trail is gone and unless you like high consequence bushwhacking through devils thorn, river fords and volcanic mud I don't recommend it.

Thank you Jason Hummel for being a great touring partner on yet again another wild adventure  :)

Well done young fellas!  Glad it was a couple of born and raised Washingtonians, and cool to be both a skier and a boarder.  Great to see Kyle out partying tonight, and already planning to return to Glacier Peak later this week for more lines.  As I heard the world's most interesting man mimic'd:  "stay thirty my friend."

is this is where that giant pillow size pack of shot bloks we saw you with by the side of hwy 20 got you?
Far out! 

author=cumulus link=topic=28851.msg121359#msg121359 date=1371660747]
is this is where that giant pillow size pack of shot bloks we saw you with by the side of hwy 20 got you?
Far out!   

Nothing better than living off the lands and a fine assortment of Clif products for 16 days. It was an honor and I can't believe the weather turned out the way it did.

Would love to hear about your adventure.

On a side note, HOLDEN HAS BACON NOW!!!!!! :)

rad.

can't wait to hear some stories about the 16 day "approach".

glad your bacon didn't run out.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=28851.msg121360#msg121360 date=1371662820]
On a side note, HOLDEN HAS BACON NOW!!!!!! :)

pretty sure that's not *just* a side note ;)

Reply to this TR

june-16-2013-glacier-peak-on-fathers-day
Kyle Miller
2013-06-18 12:32:06