Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2013, NCNP Sahale, more Halos

June 15, 2013, NCNP Sahale, more Halos

6/15/13
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Kenji on 6/16/13 3:14pm
Many of us on Sahale and the Arm also had rare sighting of the solar halos as well as sightings of many TAY regulars.  Here are a few from different angles/times.  Our view of the circumhorizontal on was also remarkable.
Skiing was a good 5000' run from the high point down to the car.  Our party hiked a summer trail up to 5000' then solid snow up onto the arm.  We also had a rare sighting of several endangered telemarker.

Great photos and nice work!  David is too cool tele'ing with shorts and shades 8)

Thanks Chris,
I forgot to put sunscreen on my arms and now they are darker than my daughters! She was impressed until she saw how it turns white just below my shoulders.

Awesome pics as always Kenji!

David

Great day to be out  8)

https://vimeo.com/68665683

Nice, Bird!
It was great to see old and new faces up there! Got to love the TAY community!
The skiing was so good... I think I will head back this weekend :)

author=shred link=topic=28837.msg121366#msg121366 date=1371668972]
Nice, Bird!
It was great to see old and new faces up there! Got to love the TAY community!
The skiing was so good... I think I will head back this weekend :)

As my wife and I were skinning up the Arm, I looked at the slope to the east and thought it looked like the best run off Sahale, by far.

A moment later you guys skied it. I'll have to do that the next time I'm up there. Looks like a great run.

Steph and I climbed to the summit with Peter, a NCNP climbing ranger intern. It was great catching up on recent developments in the park with him.

author=FreeBird link=topic=28837.msg121357#msg121357 date=1371652123]
Great day to be out  8)

https://vimeo.com/68665683

Nice job with the line to Doubtful Lake for Mr. Bird and partner. Tough climb out? I always wondered how it would go.
Anyone else get much pollen on their skis? I suspect it was from the final run in the Basin. Pretty lucky for me avoiding the pollen all spring. Final spring ski of the year. This weekend, it is summer skiing!
Great seeing so many TAY legends.

author=NickD link=topic=28837.msg121379#msg121379 date=1371698225]
Nice job with the line to Doubtful Lake for Mr. Bird and partner. Tough climb out? I always wondered how it would go.

NickD,
The climb out from Doubtful was no problem. We were able to skin up about 650VF, to the base of a steep little Rock/Snow head wall, that we booted up. The ski down to the lake is definitely worth the short walk back up to the Arm ;)

Pretty lucky for me avoiding the pollen all spring.

Nick, it was good to see you up there.  My Vector got heavy coat of pollen this time.  The extruded fish-scale seems to pick up more even though it's not porous like the sintered.  Time to take my old Atomics, i guess.

Anyone else get much pollen on their skis?

Yes. Our skis were gumming up way above Cascade Pass. I took a few pictures of the cleaning process when I got home.

Before scraping:

"Cascade klister" on a scraper:

From scraper to screw driver:

Gobs of fun on a paper towel:

This pollen stuff is like something out of "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back."

It's impossible to remove it from anything without fouling something else. After scraping most of it off my skis, I used a screwdriver to peel it off the scraper, then used a paper towel to pick if off the screwdriver. Then I used some citrus solvent on a rag to take the residue off my skis. This process works fine, but if you tried to do this in the field without all these tools, it'd be really hard to get the job done.

Here's an old picture of my brothers trying to figure out what to do with it on Mt Shuksan (1985). Wish we had some Voom!   ;)

Then the Voom ...
It went VOOM!
And, oh boy! What a VOOM!

Now, don't ask me what Voom is.
I never will know.
But, boy! Let me tell you
It DOES clean up snow!

--Dr. Seuss

The pics from the old days are great!

Reply to this TR

june-15-2013-ncnp-sahale-more-halos
Kenji