Home > Trip Reports > June 08, 2013, Mt. Adams

June 08, 2013, Mt. Adams

6/8/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jtack on 6/12/13 2:18pm
Sorry for the late report, playing hookey has consequences! Taking advantage of the great weather, and the reports of short walks from Cold Springs Campground, I was hot to go ski Adams.  I was skeptical of all the fuss the Forest Service was making out of the road to the campground, but after seeing all the work that was done falling hazard trees they really do get a gold star for some fantastic work.  The campground is not a place to be unless you are going to climb the mountain. The fire last summer re nukes it, and it is a blowing ash pit.  There are a few good places to camp, but few is the operative word.  If you are able, try and camp as far up the road as you can to avoid the constant drive by of people looking for a place to camp.  I was not able to find a ski partner , but I also knew that I would not likely be alone, and of course I was not!   I left the car at 0515, was on continuous snow at 6000, I chose to wear shoes to about 7000 and that worked ok.  I was able to skin all the way to the top without crampons, although I did take them, also had an ice ax that never came off my pack, but I would take it again.  I was sitting in a snow pit on top in 50+ mph winds, having a nice visit with some skiers that I met on the way up at 1230.  We spent a little too much time shooting the breeze and may have missed the sweet spot for the descent (started down at ~1445).  I think the wind helped save the snow, and the ski from the top to 9500 was great.  From there to 8000 of so it was water skiing.  Once on the really old snow it was good skiing again all the way back to bare ground.  I was enjoying a cold one back at the rig at 1530 without any hurrying.  On Sunday morning as I drove out I stopped for some pictures, and to have a look at the mountain, and it looked like a picture of Chilkoot Pass, with a solid stream of climbers headed to the summit. On the way home, stopped at Andy's Valley Service, and enjoyed a great breakfast, the Mt. Adams special (don't stop if you are expecting McDonalds speed service) where I re joined some of the folks I met up on the mountain for a nice finale to a great ski. 

The first tease.

All the stars were out.

The wall!

The pit on top, with Lucky the sandwich stealer.

The summit lean.

This East facing slope of the summit was guarded by some nasty ice and wind features, but worth the trouble. It was some of the best skiing of the day.

Nice view of the SW chutes.

Reply to this TR

june-08-2013-mt-adams
jtack
2013-06-12 21:18:12