Home > Trip Reports > October 14, 2001, Muir Snowfield, Mt. Rainier NP

October 14, 2001, Muir Snowfield, Mt. Rainier NP

10/14/01
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ema on 9/16/02 1:01am
4:30am Sunday morning. The harder I squinted into computer the worse the weather seemed. Then I read Andy's report and that did it. Met Dorothea and Ron Jarvis in Eatonville in a light rain. Paradise parking lot still misty but soft winds. We delayed our decision till Pan point, Pebble creek and finally at the rolls above Pebble we skinned up. Weather was clearing and we were on the smoothest cleanest snowpack we had seen in months. It was nature's best grooming. The overnite freezing was softening nicely. Don't know if it was what is called verglas but it was my perception that it was. Kenji from Seattle and a friend chatted with us and then went on to Muir. We stopped at Moon Rocks in total sun and grabbed a snack. A lone skier passed down close by and that triggered a reflex to get going.

Verglas or not it was total hero snow and we got 2000' of it. If you tried really hard you could break through and go down about 12". Interesting to see rocks in places that are normally covered. We packed up above Pebble and and hiked out in warm sunshine feeling very lucky. Talking to Kenji later they found it to be a bit icier up at Muir. Also even though I had packed my skis in 4 times with Ron Jarvis this was the 1st time we had actually skied together!

Robie

It was only 3 times. But everything else Robie said was gospel and here's the pics to prove it!

Ron

Reply to this TR

october-14-2001-muir-snowfield-mt-rainier-np
ema
2002-09-16 08:01:07