Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2013, Mt. Hood Meadows

June 8, 2013, Mt. Hood Meadows

6/8/13
OR Mt Hood
Posted by telemack on 6/11/13 7:54am
   My partner opted for a day of boarding with his new kites in Hood River, so it was solo TAY time.  It was a fabulous, calm, ski-in-shorts day!  Having never rode lifts or toured at MHM, I used the Backcountry Ski! Oregon guide to pick a couple of tours.  Some guy named Ken and his 3 dogs left the gate before I did.  I went up to the Cascade Express, passed them, and hung out in the unloading building out of the sun. 
     Skinning above the lift toward Wy'East Face I got a dramatic whiff of sulphur from the west as soon as I reached Cascade Ridge.  Dropped into Superbowl directly below a lunch spotjust before the Superbowl saddle.  This ended up being spicy-steep, with some good sluffs and a small schrund to jump over.  What a run, all alone in the giant Heather Canyon cirque.  8)           
     Getting out looked like a bad choice between climbing Superbowl w/ avy hazard and going way down canyon for a boot-out, but I noticed another side shot on the S that looked skinnable.  Soon I was on the ridge, skiing on tree branches to barely link continuous patches, and !Voila! I was back at the top of Cascade Express, almost as if I knew where I was going.  I climbed up to the top of Superbowl again to get 4000 v.f., then came to my senses in time to have a mellow run back to the car. 
    I spent lots of time admiring the Wy'East Face;  while I was in Superbowl a sizable crown from a wet slab appeared on the lower Wy'East R of its bergschrund.
     Very fun day.  The snow was very workable tho grabby at the end.
thanks for the meadows update.
b

Reply to this TR

june-8-2013-mt-hood-meadows
telemack
2013-06-11 14:54:31