Home > Trip Reports > June 9, Mt. Rainier, Muir and Nisqually chute

June 9, Mt. Rainier, Muir and Nisqually chute

6/9/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ND on 6/10/13 6:18am
Went up to Muir on Sunday ended up booting the whole way due to some issues with my split setup, now I remember why I tour.  Great weather and plenty of sun ready to remind you where you hadn't put on sunblock. 
The first bit from Muir was a little firm, but it was great bellow 9k.  A little bit wet, but almost corn.  Hanging a bit west I had tracks all to myself and got some nice relaxed carves.  No cups, no chunder, no worries.  I relaxed enough that I overshot the entrance to the bigger nisqually chute and had to climb back up a ways.

Ski cut didn't set any significant slough, but I still decided to take the mellow pitch above the cornice and then cut around the rock.  Turns bellow there were pretty good, still sticky but at that pitch it didn't matter.

Saw a large group congregating on the Nisqually, not sure where they skied up high, Kautz or the finger?  Looked like they set off a bit of wet slough on their lines also.
Coming back up the moraine trail I was greeted by a nice view of Adams.  Got down to the lot and took a long nap on a bench waiting for my mountainer friends to finish their glissades of shame.   

Thanks for the conditions report - and especially for the "glissades of shame" phrase.  I'm sure I'll be borrowing that.

author=GregSimon link=topic=28785.msg121058#msg121058 date=1370899641]
Thanks [...] especially for the "glissades of shame" phrase.  I'm sure I'll be borrowing that.

LOL, you beat me to it!  I'm going to rip that one off, as well. ;)

Reply to this TR

june-9-mt-rainier-muir-and-nisqually-chute
ND
2013-06-10 13:18:11