Home > Trip Reports > June 9, 2013, Vesper Peak

June 9, 2013, Vesper Peak

6/9/13
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by avajane on 6/9/13 1:01pm
Went in to Climb Vesper Peak with my friends Scott and Kevin. They had a nice summit, but sticky, slow snow. I made some poor equipment choices and with time constraints, wasn't able to ski the upper mountain. The traverse between Headlee and Vesper has been getting backed by the sun, and if you try to boot pack instead of ski you will punch through and may see scree 8' down. If you then put your snowshoes on, the traverse will be too steep and soft to go anywhere!  Alpine skis without skins was the only unattractive alternative.

On the way up we followed a boot pack up the gully just to the north of Headlee. There was a small cornice at the top that necessitated some shenanigans on rock and heather. On the way down, we descended  Headlee which was more straight forward. Attached is a short video of this semi - steep, nice little chute. The first chute would have been fine to ski as well.  (Lots of rockfall near the toe of each chute) The skiing to the end of the snow was better than it looked. The bad creek crossing wasn't too bad - but called for caution. (Crossing the river on a slippery log in ski boots is not advised.)  We hiked in dirt and rock for over an hour before reaching snow.

http://vimeo.com/68019658

http://vimeo.com/68019658
There's still plenty of skiing to be had.

I love the second picture of the basin. I bet that place holds the snow forever.

I second that!!!! :D The little chute off of Headlee is super fun to ski. Best turns of the day by far. Def would like to get back that way again soon. Several other cools lines up there too.

I was also up there this past Sunday with a large group of 10 others + 4 dogs.

author=elliotts link=topic=28781.msg121129#msg121129 date=1371021055]
I second that!!!! :D The little chute off of Headlee is super fun to ski. Best turns of the day by far. Def would like to get back that way again soon. Several other cools lines up there too.

You had a better looking group than me!

Looks fun Elliott et al!

author=elliotts link=topic=28781.msg121129#msg121129 date=1371021055]

I like the Ice Ax in one hand pole in the other. When I have both poles on steep snow I'm always thinking that if I trip or a step blows out I'm going for a long ride!

Reply to this TR

june-9-2013-vesper-peak
avajane
2013-06-09 20:01:09