Home > Trip Reports > May 28, 2005, Spider Gap/Lyman Gl

May 28, 2005, Spider Gap/Lyman Gl

5/28/05
Posted by Monika on 5/30/05 11:00am
Monika and I (there are two of us) decided to see what turns could be found off of Spider Gap.  The FS opened the gate to that trailhead last Wednesday.  Have hiked several times to Spider from Holden Village but never from the south end. Two of my friends from out of town, Anders and Taag, hiked part of the way.  Monika and I were able to put on our skis at about 6100' once at the upper bench.  For a south facing slope, didn't seem like we could ask for much less than 6100'.  From Spider Gap (7100') had those beautiful views with lots of sunshine across to Dome, Cloudy Pass/Peak, Northstar etc.  Skied down to beneath Lyman Glacier/Lower Lyman lake.  Approx. 5100'vf gain, 2100'ski descent, 16+miles rt.

Snow conditions?  well a bit of a mute point given our leisurely start time of noon and a freezing level of 11000'.  Once we were high enough to put on our skis, coverage was great. On the south side snow conditions were the unconsolidated 4-5" on a firmer base.  The back north side was a bit firmer with some areas of soft corn.  Monika is from Austria so she has no trouble being smooth on any snow conditions.

One of the highlights was my trade with Anders to carry my pack with skis (!) from Spider Meadows back to car in exchange for a back rub.  Wow.   My knees were incredibly grateful.

Monika's stellar attitude was as pleasant as the sunshine--sehr vielen dank! :D
Monika:  nice report, and good to hear you got out this weekend!  5100 vf.?  isn't that kind of a mellow day for you?  ;).

Hi Kam--nice report from you and Allyson on Shasta.  You certainly made a great trip out of it.  I look forward to seeing more of your pics.

"5100'vf"
Yes usually, but our mellow start time at noon left only half the day plus the 7 mile hike sure takes long compared to just skinning.

Here are few photos on www.clubphoto.com
It's a cheesy site but they don't downsize your pics, you don't have to be a member to view them and it's free.  
Type in my obsolete email address:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  to view.

Nice pics Monika.  Glad you had a good trip with Monika and your friends -- I like the ski caddy idea!  Not much snow left in the Wa Pass area and we just did some hiking.  Heard a report that Harts Pass had some 300 ft runs from Slate Peak.

what a small world! we talked to you guys at spider meadows...we wanted to ski maude but chickened out when we saw how high up the snow started...

Reply to this TR

may-28-2005-spider-gap-lyman-gl
Monika
2005-05-30 18:00:25