Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2013, Mt Rainier - DC Speed Skiing 3:57:55

June 5, 2013, Mt Rainier - DC Speed Skiing 3:57:55

6/5/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by andy dorais on 6/6/13 5:19am
I spoke with a really gracious kind woman in the parking lot the day before we headed up on our speed attempt.  She asked for an update so here is a link to my TR of the day and to my brother Jason's. 

Also, thanks to the guides for the work on the route and to everyone we saw along the way for their kind words and cheers of encouragement.  It was a great but hard morning...

http://slcsherpa.blogspot.com/2013/06/mount-rainier-speed-skiing-35755.html
http://jasondorais.blogspot.ca/2013/06/mt-rainier-speed-run-35755.html
Amazing effort!

My lungs hurt just from reading that.

Hey, Andy, thanks for posting this.  I was the one you talked to.  It was Robie who spotted you, though.  He told me to go talk to you because you "just looked" like you were prepping for a speed climb. 

Big congratulations on your new record.  Not only did you beat the old record, you blew it away.

WOW !    ;)

Awesome:

Rainier is one thing.  Now I'd like to see what you guys can do with the North Cascade high traverses  ;D

Inspiring work!

Thanks for sharing.

author=andy dorais link=topic=28750.msg120909#msg120909 date=1370549990]

http://slcsherpa.blogspot.com/2013/06/mount-rainier-speed-skiing-35755.html

wow that's a good read.  I think I would have enjoyed cheering for these guys.

Holy smokes very impressive physical and mental accomplishment!
Need to get you guys on the universal XC team and bring home some hardware to whatever planet you guys are from!

Congrats, guys. 3:57 is straight up ridiculous. And no more sneaking into Vertfest as some anonymous guy from SLC, Jason.

Wow what an effort. And you guys aren't "runners" or "skiers"?

In my struggle to comprehend, I quickly geeked out and went to Map my Run where I found:

They did about 20 minute miles to Camp Muir.

They averaged 30:44 minute miles to the Summit.

On the descent they averaged 6:20 miles -  which is a good downhill running pace.

It took them 15 minutes to ski from Camp Muir to Paradise  - That's about 15MPH

I wonder if Uli Steidl knows how to ski? I think the race has started.

That really is an amazing speed, it defies my imagination.  Incredible, one day effort, and a huge commitment to prepare, well done! 

Avajane, nothing against Uli, he is a stud, and I'm sure he would be impressive if he decided to take up Big mtn running.  But this is on a rather large glaciated peak, not a trail in the woods.  Gotta give props to the Dorais Bros, these guys are freaky fast. Any doubts? Try racing one of them in a rando race some time, you'll see what I'm talking about. Nice work Andy and Jason bringing the record back to the US from those Canucks.

author=Brandonee link=topic=28750.msg120942#msg120942 date=1370585883]
Avajane, nothing against Uli, he is a stud, and I'm sure he would be impressive if he decided to take up Big mtn running.  But this is on a rather large glaciated peak, not a trail in the woods.  Gotta give props to the Dorais Bros, these guys are freaky fast. Any doubts? Try racing one of them in a rando race some time, you'll see what I'm talking about. Nice work Andy and Jason bringing the record back to the US from those Canucks.

Those brother's get total props. What a record! They are also very humble and talk about their record being broken - perhaps down to 3:30. Maybe they will be the ones to do that - they are the right age. But yes, I think the race is on and I'm looking forward to it. In the 70's, 3 of the best rock climbers in the world climbed the Nose in a Day on El Captain -  and it was a BIG deal. Now the record has been honed down to a few hours. That's what the brothers are predicting! I'm tongue in cheek about Uli. (How about Torin Koos?) Rainier is a big glaciated peak not to be easily dismissed. But when the conditions are perfect, it can be a very fast and easy summit to bag. When I climbed it, I wasn't very fast, but the conditions were mild, the fixed lines were in, the Clever was all snow with a nice sidewalk to walk up. Extreme Mountaineering skills were not required, and you could ski to the parking lot. The speed record should be in the US - specifically Washington. As far as Utah goes - the last time I looked up, BC was a lot closer to Washington than Utah! Common boys and girls! LOL

author=avajane link=topic=28750.msg120944#msg120944 date=1370589545]
Those brother's get total props. What a record! They are also very humble and talk about their record being broken - perhaps down to 3:30. Maybe they will be the ones to do that - they are the right age. But yes, I think the race is on and I'm looking forward to it. In the 70's, 3 of the best rock climbers in the world climbed the Nose in a Day on El Captain -  and it was a BIG deal. Now the record has been honed down to a few hours. That's what the brothers are predicting! I'm tongue in cheek about Uli. (How about Torin Koos?) Rainier is a big glaciated peak not to be easily dismissed. But when the conditions are perfect, it can be a very fast and easy summit to bag. When I climbed it, I wasn't very fast, but the conditions were mild, the fixed lines were in, the Clever was all snow with a nice sidewalk to walk up. Extreme Mountaineering skills were not required, and you could ski to the parking lot. The speed record should be in the US - specifically Washington. As far as Utah goes - the last time I looked up, BC was a lot closer to Washington than Utah! Common boys and girls! LOL

Wow!!  This is very impressive.  Big congrats.

I’ve trail raced against Uli and didn’t see him much after the start of the race.  Same with Jason at Vertfest this year.  I think Uli could of given this record a challenge if he could ski.  I don’t think he skis and I’m not sure if he does he can still challenge these brothers.  Even if you have the engine it takes time to be fast in a specific sport.  I’ve raced the “downhill” leg of the Ski to Sea against Turin and was surprised that we finished around the same time.  I think he has too much of a sprinters body to challenge these feather weight brothers.  Unfortunately I don’t see anyone in Washington that can challenge this record right now.  To be as fast as these guys it takes genetics, training, and altitude acuteness.  From what I hear these guys specifically train to be fast.  No one in Washington is training for this like these guys.  Skimo is starting to catch on in other parts of the country.  Colorado, SLC, Vermont, Jackson all have local series.  It just hasn’t caught on here.

I’ve always been puzzled why more Washingtonians  are not interested in speed touring.  Ski touring is the most efficient way to travel through the mountains.  Why aren’t we utilizing the light gear available and celebrate that?  More one day traverses, more speed summits.  Inspire us more Dorais brothers!

author=Seth link=topic=28750.msg120948#msg120948 date=1370615057]
Wow!!  This is very impressive.  Big congrats.

I’ve trail raced against Uli and didn’t see him much after the start of the race.  Same with Jason at Vertfest this year.  I think Uli could of given this record a challenge if he could ski.  I don’t think he skis and I’m not sure if he does he can still challenge these brothers.  Even if you have the engine it takes time to be fast in a specific sport.  I’ve raced the “downhill” leg of the Ski to Sea against Turin and was surprised that we finished around the same time.  I think he has too much of a sprinters body to challenge these feather weight brothers. 

-Small world up here. When I did that crap "ski" leg on the "ski to sea" the guy who led the pack up the hill was some big stud dressed in a silver surfer one piece outfit. (I'm sure it was him)  A few years later he was talked into the Ridge to River (which he won) and he proved himself to be a very fast alpine skier as well. He also placed third at the PPP in Bend against all the Central Oregon Nordic guys who live there. 

Unfortunately I don’t see anyone in Washington that can challenge this record right now.  To be as fast as these guys it takes genetics, training, and altitude acuteness. 

-On Andy's Blog he said he ran a 50 mile race recently. Obviously one would need to be in that kind of shape. I'd think that an elite nordic athlete would at least be in the right kind of shape. (And would most likely be a good downhill skier as well)

From what I hear these guys specifically train to be fast.  No one in Washington is training for this like these guys.  Skimo is starting to catch on in other parts of the country.  Colorado, SLC, Vermont, Jackson all have local series.  It just hasn’t caught on here.

I’ve always been puzzled why more Washingtonians  are not interested in speed touring.  Ski touring is the most efficient way to travel through the mountains.  Why aren’t we utilizing the light gear available and celebrate that?  More one day traverses, more speed summits.  Inspire us more Dorais brothers!

-I've seen some pretty impressive one day tours on this site -  but I guess not at this kind of speed. Interesting. I do know that when I ran thru the Enchantments in a day a couple of years ago, I got lots of positive comments and jealous looks from everyone wearing large, heavy backpacks! The downside is that if anything goes wrong miles from the trailhead...lightweight can turn dangerous and cold pretty quick!

I'm interested, but the older I get I'm just happy to be out touring.
The slobber and nose drip that get all over my outfit are from senility rather than working so hard I have no time to wipe it off.

Didn't mean to open this can of worms! I agree, it would be cool to see this motivate a speed record spree like the Grand Teton has in the past. And I also agree that Uli probably has a slightly stronger "motor" but doesn't skimo so that brings up a whole other topic; running vs skiing on snow. My main point was: just give the guys a hand for the impressive feat, instead of saying good job, oh by the way your splits weren't that fast, and Uli could go faster!  Of course, who am I to point this out, after all I did bash the Canucks!   

I have always wonder this as well. There is some beauty in moving quickly through the mountains, unencumbered by heavy gear.

This ascent is very inspirational, I am training up to try and do Rainier C2C in about a month, but if I am able to break the 12 hour mark, I would be very very happy.

This is just amazing.

Reminds me of a beautiful day in 1988 climbing Mt. Blanc. My guide and I had just summited and were coming back down a steep little step at 15,000 feet. Just as we get to the flat, we see a helicopter and of course wonder is everyone all right.

Then notice they are actually filming and here is this petite gal running up the mountain wearing spandex and running shows while we were roped up in crampons (perhaps overkill but I was a guided client). She set the then day speed record for valley to summit (nearly 13K vert) and back run.

Serious aerobic capacity.

Because after being airlifted from the middle of the Pickets due to a busted binding no one wants to be chastised by the TAY community for not having a shovel, beacon, probe, first aid kit, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, expedition down jacket, 3 days food, stove, gps, spot beacon, ice ax, crampons, and glacier gear.

author=chmnyboy link=topic=28750.msg120959#msg120959 date=1370632518]
Because after being airlifted from the middle of the Pickets due to a busted binding no one wants to be chastised by the TAY community for not having a shovel, beacon, probe, first aid kit, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, expedition down jacket, 3 days food, stove, gps, spot beacon, ice ax, crampons, and glacier gear.

This made me laugh.

This record isnt't safe.  Hans and Alex are working out their skin to ski transition as we speak.

Chatted with you guys on Sunday and was surprised you were turning around so early.

I guess you were saving energy for something bigger. Very impressive!

author=chmnyboy link=topic=28750.msg120959#msg120959 date=1370632518]

Cracked me up but it's true. You would get total shit. I was gearing up to go  in to ski Silver Peak last week with a newby, so I was putting a beacon on him even though it wasn't really needed. Some guy in the van next to us asked about the shovel and beacon...I said that I knew it was unnecessary but if something oddball happened, you always look real bad on the evening news (or TAY) if they find out you were UNPREPARED!

I’ve always been puzzled why more Washingtonians  are not interested in speed touring.

Probably because most Washingtonians have no interest in wearing a lycra suit.

There are people doing it(i.e speed traverses), it takes some knowledge or the route  like a previous effort, great conditions and a lot of planning to nail the traverses in the same conditions the DC route(i.e. manicured for clients) is kept in.

Most routes have been in done is less then a day and Killian is coming here this summer so records will fall soon.

I agree that speed traverses offer greater challenges in scope, timing, and potential danger.  If you have equipment failure in the picket range then that is a different problem than equipment failure on Rainier.

However, I'm beginning to believe that speed is a very good safety tool.  Also, for me, it is perhaps one of the only ways I will ever be able to visit some of the amazing places I'd like to see.  I'll never be as fast as these guys, but I'm inspired by them and grateful for people like this who help innovations in gear and strategies to help speed the rest of us along  ;D

Ridiculousness! Couldn't let the Canadian
Keep the record eh! I think I would be puking
at 12,000 feet. Congrats.

Lots of grousing by the locals...

... these guys showed up and stomped.

author=JoshK link=topic=28750.msg120980#msg120980 date=1370688431]
Probably because most Washingtonians have no interest in wearing a lycra suit.

Now you've gone and spoiled your birthday present. 

author=T. Eastman link=topic=28750.msg121132#msg121132 date=1371048243]
Lots of grousing by the locals...

... these guys showed up and stomped.

Classic Old Man on the Back Porch quote from a thread that's been all compliments so far re: this incredible feat.  Throw that sour milk out, slip into a little lycra, and rub your hands all over your streamlined body.  No poopy diapers with full lycra!

I've gotta find my old Lycra from early 80's climbing days. If I put it on and go anywhere - there will be speed records set by everyone running away!

I rented a sea kayak in Australia for 10 days, and a full body, chartreuse lycra 'stinger' suit came with it, ostensibly to protect against the box jellyfish.  My initial reaction was WTF?

After a few days, I found myself lounging in my Green Man Suit, perhaps a bit too often. 

Damn, I kinda miss that thing.

Just wanted to add my congratulations to the Dorais brothers. Very impressive effort and I enjoyed your stories. You guys have great attitudes!

Regarding speed touring, there's huge potential for it in the Cascades, but it will probably never be "popular." I expect that Mt Rainier will remain the primary focus.

I haven't tried for speed records, but I find "flow days" inspiring.

Somebody should ski the Isolation Traverse in a day. That was one of my goals ten years ago, but I never made a serious attempt. I don't think I'm in good enough shape to try it now.

In 1999, my brother Gordy and I tried to ski clockwise around Mt Rainier in a day, starting from Fryingpan Creek. We didn't get very far, discouraged by big crevasses on the Nisqually Glacier. That's another big goal that somebody should attempt. (I don't expect to try again.)

Eben Sargent has done some impressive speed trips in recent years. Like skiing the Ptarmigan Traverse between the Cascade Pass and Downey Creek trailheads in 11 hours, 41 minutes. See this trip report:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1024909

The 26-hour link-up of Mt Baker and Mt Shuksan by Ryan Lurie and Gregg Cronn was another cool trip:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=21413.0

Reply to this TR

june-5-2013-mt-rainier-dc-speed-skiing-3-57-55
andy dorais
2013-06-06 12:19:50