Home > Trip Reports > June 05, 2013, Colchuck

June 05, 2013, Colchuck

6/5/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 6/6/13 4:39am
I was having a tough time finding a partner to ski Colchuck, and had resigned myself to a solo, but at the last minute,  I was saved.  We left the parking lot, at 0615, and were standing on the col by 1215.  We set a leisurely pace and enjoyed the company and the spectacular views. The snow was soft enough to skin all the way, the first time I have ever been able to do that.  The snow was particularity soft the last 1000 feet below the col, with a fair amount of that snow we received two weeks ago (or so) that had not consolidated, and it was hard work (on the way down), sticky and about four or five inches of ski penetration.  Mid way it improved, and  was fun all the way to the lake.  If I were to do it again, I might consider skiing Aasgard pass, I think it might be a better ski.  Skiers right on the lower part of Colchuck has been covered with a dirty (rocky) slide, and we did not ski that side.  We were able to put or skies on right at the trails end on the lake. 

The views alone are worth the trip.

Looks great!  Dry trail to the lake?

Wow, It's really melted out this year compared to last year at this time.

Keep me on your partner list :-)

Even thought I'm not in your neck of the woods, I'm crazy and willing to get up uber early to ski.

Gotta love that beautiful area. Nice ski.

Yeah, it's a bit of a trudge into the lake these days but the skiing is still nice once you're there. We skinned up the back side of Dragontail on 6/1/12 and found nice skiing all the way up & down, similar in quality to Colchuck Gl. The run down from the Aasgard Pass on skier's left is still holding snow nicely with no cracks or open water yet (as of last Saturday). Two of our party also skied Little Annapurna, trying to stay away from fist fights and name-callling with the natives.

author=cprahl link=topic=28748.msg120949#msg120949 date=1370616611]
Yeah, it's a bit of a trudge into the lake these days but the skiing is still nice once you're there. We skinned up the back side of Dragontail on 6/1/12 and found nice skiing all the way up & down, similar in quality to Colchuck Gl. The run down from the Aasgard Pass on skier's left is still holding snow nicely with no cracks or open water yet (as of last Saturday). Two of our party also skied Little Annapurna, trying to stay away from fist fights and name-callling with the natives.

Nice Crispin glad you got it! A few of us made the dash to the area in search of sun/skiing Memorial weekend. After a thorough drenching of moisture all night and spitting moisture in the day we only ventured part way up the Colechuck glacier.
Cloud deck was at 7700 and when the numerous Russians were turning around from the col due to high winds we ventured no further.
We had plans to ski Little Annapurna and Colchuck, we were bummed but it was still fun and great exercise.

Reply to this TR

june-05-2013-colchuck
jtack
2013-06-06 11:39:55