Home > Trip Reports > 6/5, Mt Hood, Wy'east

6/5, Mt Hood, Wy'east

6/5/13
OR Mt Hood
Posted by harg on 6/6/13 1:19am
Perfect corn on Wy'east yesterday. started from T-line lot at about 5am, made relatively quick work (for me) to the top of palmer, across white river and up to the top of the ridge. from there, the going slowed significantly. intermittant post-holing turned into constant post-holing, and then knee deep barely able to move post-holing on the upper part of the wy'east face. ended up pretty much crawling the last 500ft or so. for anyone that wants to follow, there's now an awkward zig-zagging, poorly positioned bootpack. goal was to ski newton clark, but I was beat by the time i topped out above steel cliffs and the snow warranted skiing sooner rather than later. started down at 10am after a sandwich and a quick rest. skiing conditions were awesome!! corn was as good as it gets, smooth and a surprising amount of snow still up there. i'd guess the skiing will be good for a while still, even with warm conditions.
There was a good sized slab avy at ~10400ft on the west crater rim just up from castle crags. looked fairly fresh, but it was hard to tell from my route. maybe someone else has info on it?
Sounds a little sketchy up high.  Were you not concerned about wet slides on that slope in the unconsolidated snow?

Reply to this TR

6-5-mt-hood-wy-east
harg
2013-06-06 08:19:37