Home > Trip Reports > June 4, 2013, Camp Muir

June 4, 2013, Camp Muir

6/4/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/5/13 2:01am
Fantastic day for climbing with sun and slight breeze. Too bad we wasted it on so so skiing
Wasn't bad but nowhere near corn yet. 7000-8500 skied best . I set a nice wet gooey slide off at one of the McClure Rock drop ins going toward Golden Gate. Kinda figured it would go that way so i did a long cut across the top of the roll. Friday might see some corn.  High up track above pebble is about melted out . Nisqually chute has lots of debris in center. Paradise Gl looked good with very few tracks. skiing to parking lot no problem. Oh yes ,stevens canyon road open and Tatoosh fully accessible for tailgate partys!
Thanks Anita and Dave 

Edit  I did pick up some pollen I was using parrifin .niether dave or anita got any .??
Thanks for the report.  Did you notice if it's still skiable down to nisqually bridge - or is that done for the year?

author=GregSimon link=topic=28738.msg120865#msg120865 date=1370467899]
Thanks for the report.  Did you notice if it's still skiable down to nisqually bridge - or is that done for the year?

Done for the year.

the Park says :  "The rehabilitation will consist of subgrade repair, mechanically stabilized earth wall (MSE wall), reinforced soil slope wall (RSS wall), culvert replacement, guardwall reconstruction, tunnel repairs, bridge and pavement restoration. The MSE and RSS walls are located within Segment 1 with several locations of subgrade repair. Included in Segment 1 is the parking area at Reflection Lake. This parking area is widened and pedestrian access is improved."

Does anyone know if there is parking at Reflection Lake?  I went to park at the junction of Paradise Valley Road and Stevens Canyon Road to access lower Mazama Ridge and for the first time ever they had No Parking signs.  I met a Ranger on Mazama yesterday and i asked him why the PVR to 4th Xing was still closed and why there was no parking at the PVR/SCR junction.  He said the first was due to insufficient turn-around area for 37' motorhomes than venture down there.  I said put a sign: no RVs; he said signs don't work so they put a road closed sign up.  He said the 2nd was because construction vehicles had to use that are to turn around.  Ranger Daniel has little credence in my book LOL.

Bridge no go .Snow line is up at snout of glacier.

Reply to this TR

june-4-2013-camp-muir
Robie
2013-06-05 09:01:48