Home > Trip Reports > June 3-4, 2013, Mt Adams South Climb Route

June 3-4, 2013, Mt Adams South Climb Route

6/3/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by nickwiarda on 6/5/13 1:23am
Took a leisurely 2 day trip up the south climbers route on Mt Adams with my buddy Jeff.  Started at Coldsprings Trailhead ~ 1100 on Monday.  The trailhead was in the burn area, was plowed out to the entrance of the parking lot with spots cleared for about 10 vehicles, maybe more with the warm weather now.  Snow was dirty and was not continuous for the first mile, plan on booting until ~ 6,000 ft. We were able to skin our way to 9300 ft at the lunch counter without carrying, though this has most likely changed as well with the warm temps this week. 

Spent the night and had a beautiful sunset/sunrise.  Started climbing again at 0615, began skinning but switched to crampons 1/3 of the way of Pikers Peak.  We did not have ski crampons (I cannot find Fritschi Crampons wider than 100mm for the Freeride Plus from 2009....help anyone?), but they would have sufficed.  On our way down we passed 4 skiers who were all skinning with the softened snow.  Made it to the summit 0945.  Conditions were clear, breezy, and beautiful. 

Made our way down about 1030, hung out on top of Pikers for a few minutes and descended at 1100.  Snow was firm and still crusty for the first half down, but perfect corn on the bottom half from 10,500 and down.  Skied continuously for the way out until the last mile, had to boot out.  The snow below the Lunch Counter was a mess with warm temps and snow that makes you feel as though you've never skied before.

We found an ice axe at the top of Piker's Peak and turned it in to lost at found at the ranger station in Trout Lake.  Some guy injured his knee severely enough to warrant a search and rescue team complete with sheriff, maybe it belongs to him?  Major kudos to the volunteers who freely gave their time to help this guy get safely down the mountain and get the appropriate care.  Hopefully I'll never need you.
Is there snow at Morrison Camp?

We did not see any below ~5500, so I'm guessing no, especially after the last 3 days.  Hope that helps.

Reply to this TR

june-3-4-2013-mt-adams-south-climb-route
nickwiarda
2013-06-05 08:23:09