Home > Trip Reports > June 4, 2013, Pilchuck again

June 4, 2013, Pilchuck again

6/4/13
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by wolfs on 6/4/13 3:53pm
Another dusk patrol. Last Friday's trip had whetted the appetite for more. Road still snowcovered in same spot just shy of the official parking lot. Surprising no one's monster trucked their way thru yet (where's Bubba when you need him?) A few hundred yards of booting road and trail. Past there could skin the whole way to lookout, with exception of a couple of well established bootpacks on steep or narrow areas (each takes less than 5 min).

Snow was good for both ascent and descent, really not mushy at all. Overall surface maybe a bit bumpier than last time now that the fresh snow is all gone, some cups below 4k. Great views all directions. Not that bad temps considering it was 80 degrees passing thru GF, warm but not suffering.

Saw no other skiers and only one set of hikers lower down. Pair of snowboarders had been down Gunsight and waterfall earlier in day and pretty much I did that same run. Gunsight is a little runneled skiers left now but skiers right was good. The waterfall pitch was fun, not as steep as I thought it might be from looking at it. But I think I maybe liked the aesthetics of running the spine of the ridge over those domes and breakovers more, especially while it catches the sunset light.

For last part, tried to get thru dog fur forest near bottom to access the lower old runs but that was total bust, not enough snow and too many trees, wasted 15 min thrashing, retreated to the trail.
Where does the normal route up to the lookout go? Up to the notch east of the peak then drop down and go up the SE gully? Or is there an easier way (on snow)?

Lots of bugs there this evening! They were bad up until about 4800ft.

Not that I'm a regular, but the route that seems easiest is similar to the summer trail but with shortcutting involved in places where the summer route takes maddeningly long switchbacks or wastes elevation. Go up various rolls and aim for the saddle tween main summit and Little Pilchuck (but not exact lowest point, go just a bit higher E). Cross to S side, one 50' steep bit to boot,  then gradual rising traverse to lookout. This did remain all on snow and was easily skinnable (or boot track if you choose) once past that first 50' rise.

Yeah I forgot to mention the bugs. They were not too bad Tuesday but were noticeably more active than last Friday, so they are trending ...

Reply to this TR

june-4-2013-pilchuck-again
wolfs
2013-06-04 22:53:51