Home > Trip Reports > June 1-2, 2013, Kyes Peak/Blanca Lake

June 1-2, 2013, Kyes Peak/Blanca Lake

6/1/13
Posted by skier8484 on 6/4/13 1:49pm
Allen and I got out on a casual weekend tour to Blanca Lake/Kyes Peak last weekend.  Weather and snow were sub-optimal, but both of us were overdue for a trip into the mountains, so it didn't impact our stoke much.  Downed trees stopped us 1.5 miles short of the trailhead, and we reached continuous snow near the top of the switch backs.  Skinning to Virgin Lake went quickly and soon enough we were descending towards Blanca:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FhnAE1fZfTE/Ua6-fxqOZgI/AAAAAAAAFJo/mbooysPTDu8/s512/Kyes-4.jpg" />

A quick shower passed while skinning across the lake, but the weather quickly improved.  With the tent up and some coffee in our bellies, we headed up Kyes:

Once we began up the Western gulley the snow became incredibly mushy, with the top 6-8" wet sliding with ease.  Slow, hissing wet slides were easy to trigger, but very predictable, and we felt fine continuing higher.  While on the ascent, many larger, natural wet slides were ripping down Columbia's East face pretty much ending any hope of skiing anything steep.  It was an impressive display with snow and rocks spewing off most of the cliffs and a regular basis.

Monte Cristo Peak:

We stopped shy of Kyes true summit:

The skiing quality in the wet slide paths was actually pretty enjoyable:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZdDELusWP7A/Ua6-LQ3RR4I/AAAAAAAAFIw/2Gv3VMJcqxU/s512/Kyes-11.jpg" />

Heavy rain moved in overnight, with thick fog lingering in the morning. 

The Sultan Bakery siren called our name through the fog, and we listened and left, day dreaming of sun and corn to come!

That tent looks wet! Nice work though, any trip that ends at the sultan bakery is a a good trip, and good to see you got some special tent time with Allen.

Cool trip!  Love that area.

Didnt think you would be able to skin the lake this late this year.

I went up there with kololo for a recon hike the day before. Road was mauled by blowdown! Or snow down... turned around a couple hundred feet after hitting snow line.

author=chmnyboy link=topic=28731.msg120843#msg120843 date=1370445029]
That tent looks wet!

Wet on the outside, bone dry on the inside thankfully!

Agreed Scott, that area is rad. It's definitely on the list for an earlier winter/spring trip for next season!

Sweet pix, guys, and TR. What a beautiful place... backpacked there last summer and definitely want to go back. The water in summer is of such unbelievable color. You've now enticed me to plan a ski trip there for next spring ; -)

Is it me, or does every TR for this area include stunning photos?

The snow formations on that photo of Kyes peak proper are dreamy and the one skiing the chute off the ridge is rad.

Reply to this TR

june-1-2-2013-kyes-peak-blanca-lake
skier8484
2013-06-04 20:49:13