Home > Trip Reports > June 4, 2013, Silver Slopes

June 4, 2013, Silver Slopes

6/4/13
Posted by androolus on 6/4/13 1:57am
One run and done....just wanted to beat silas to the post. Thx for the cool clean snow bob sled run on the way out.
How was the snow? Hoping to get out there for a dusk patrol tonight. Thank you in advance for any beta ; -)

MtnPavlas: can you go tomorrow AM instead?  I'd go with you then.

Thanks for the nudge, Bryan. Am going with a buddy of mine tonight so can't leave him hanging ; -)
I wish I could go tomorrow but the rest of the week is pretty packed. I'll post conditions. Maybe Friday super early... would be a sunrise hike for sure as I'd have to be back in Bellevue by 9 AM.

At 7:45am, the NE facing slopes in the main bowl were a little soft, but still fun and fast. No sticky and not suncupped on the steeps....in the trees was a different story of course...that reminds me I need to clean and re-wax my skis tonight.

And then the flat trip back to the road was nice due to all the previous skiers who smoothed it out and cleaned it off. Much thanks to them because otherwise the suncups on the flats would have been unpleasant.

author=androolus link=topic=28726.msg120814#msg120814 date=1370381729]
And then the flat trip back to the road was nice due to all the previous skiers who smoothed it out and cleaned it off. Much thanks to them because otherwise the suncups on the flats would have been unpleasant.

Yes, Silas' prompt and enthusiastic reporting did a fine job of helping get a bomber uptrack carved into the basin slope, stairwell quality bootpacks into the west slopes, and well-scraped snow in the usually bumpy/dirty areas! Once we're in full spring/summer mode, the balance certainly  tips on "sharing stashes"  :D.

MtnPavlas, let me know if you want a companion for early morning Friday. I'd like to ski and need to be back in SEA by 10:30.

author=androolus link=topic=28726.msg120800#msg120800 date=1370365053]
One run and done....just wanted to beat silas to the post.

Well done! :)   We wondered whose car that was when we headed up, and then saw no one at the ridgecrest.  The west slope skied cornier today, perhaps because we skied it earlier than previous days.  But even our second run was also cornier, so the fresh snow of a week ago is consolidating?

https://vimeo.com/67750504  https://vimeo.com/67751763

author=Jim Oker link=topic=28726.msg120816#msg120816 date=1370383226]
Yes, Silas' prompt and enthusiastic reporting did a fine job of helping get a bomber uptrack carved into the basin slope, stairwell quality bootpacks into the west slopes, and well-scraped snow in the usually bumpy/dirty areas! Once we're in full spring/summer mode, the balance certainly  tips on "sharing stashes"  :D.

You got me!  Indeed, thanks everyone for helping the smoothing and especially Carl for the excellent original track setting through Windy Acres.  It is still nicely skiable right to the cars, but this heat will change that by the weekend or even sooner.  Early and late skiers probably get the best quality snow.  By the way, we met a likely record setter up there today:  Nason at 2.5yrs old, tho he was riding in his mom's backpack, not on boards.

author=silaswild link=topic=28726.msg120828#msg120828 date=1370406947">
By the way, we met a likely record setter up there today:  Nason at 2.5yrs old, tho he was riding in his mom's backpack, not on boards.

I think lapaz25 will beg to differ on the record setting. Here's Lara skiing off Silver with her daughter, then 4 months, on June 14, 2009.

author=sheispiste link=topic=28726.msg120830#msg120830 date=1370407881]
I think lapaz25 will beg to differ on the record setting.

No need to beg!  Congrats Lara!!  Sorry to miss that trip.

Maybe we set an age record on the difference among group members?

i'm tempted to grab my 3 mo. old lil girl just to bump the age down further.
b

author=silaswild link=topic=28726.msg120828#msg120828 date=1370406947]
By the way, we met a likely record setter up there today:  Nason at 2.5yrs old, tho he was riding in his mom's backpack, not on boards.

Records or not, I have to say that carrying a kid that big is a lot of work.   Maybe too much work!? I was really struggling to boot up the last section to the ridge crest.  But Silas is quite the gentleman!  He plunge stepped down to me, grabbed my skis and carried them up to the ridge for me.  Thanks Silas!

After a short stay on the ridge we skied down the mostly smooth slope.  Kid squealing/screaming with joy the whole way down.  8)

Thanks again to all contributing to the great access/ski-out, boot packs, reports, etc. Met a bunch of fine folks up there yesterday, all friendly and courteous. Way to go TAY'ers and others ; -)
Eric and I hit it for a dusk patrol yesterday (left trailhead at 5 PM) and was quite worried about the snow conditions that late in the day (slushy/mushy?) but wow, what a surprise... still fairly corny, not sticky at all, beautiful sunset.
Don (rustyknees), great meeting you up there... got a pic of you so grab the full resolution from here.

Hehe, you couldn't miss Don with the reflective vest!

We were there for dusk patrol with Sheispiste, Gabriel, Ian, Dicey and Jack (doggy).  Great evening and fun snow!  Just bring the Goo Gone to clean your skis after a run ;)

B)

Are Safety vests mandatory with the crowds up there ? :)

Goo gone, huh? Is the pollen/debris starting to stick to bases? That was not a problem as of Sunday...

My bases were clean after going up and down several snow fields, gullies and bowls on Silver on 6/4 (no goo gone needed ; -) but perhaps it's because I haven't waxed my skis for a while...?

author=MtnPavlas link=topic=28726.msg120881#msg120881 date=1370489448]
My bases were clean after going up and down several snow fields, gullies and bowls on Silver on 6/4 (no goo gone needed ; -) but perhaps it's because I haven't waxed my skis for a while...?

My bases remained clean too.  I also haven't waxed my skis in a very long time.

My bases were covered with crap, I cleaned them last night.  Then again, maybe it was from my previous trip in Bean Basin as I haven't cleaned them in a while.  I thought others in my group were having difficulties as well though.

B)

ski ya next year

https://vimeo.com/68424455

Reply to this TR

june-4-2013-silver-slopes
androolus
2013-06-04 08:57:33