Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2013, Ingalls, Fortune-deep new snow high

June 1, 2013, Ingalls, Fortune-deep new snow high

6/1/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by artfreeman on 6/3/13 7:46am
Warmer temps than the recent 5/30 TR.  We were surprised at how much new snow had fallen up high.  In the basin between Ingalls and South Ingalls (above Ingalls Lake) seemed like nearly a foot.  Very little at Ingalls Pass.  Enough high up  that we were concerned about real slide activity, and there was evidence of a couple wet slides.  This new snow has covered all the dirt and suncups which is nice.  Like starting over.  It was thick mush up high for us, but who knows?  Maybe soon it will be the best smooth corn ever, or something else.

From the car we hiked on dirt 1/2 hour and then skinned until the start of where the summer trail traverses toward Ingalls Pass.  Hiked that too, so you are talking about a total of about 1 hr on dirt.  Then skinned to pass between S and Main Ingalls Pk.  Climbed the S face of Ingalls which was snow free, but the scramble to the normal base of the rock climb took a long time since it was coated with slippery fresh snow.  We belayed the leader who place some gear (thanks T!) and setup up a handline.  This should melt quickly this week.

On return we skinned back over Fortune, and the main S bowl was excellent.  No slide concerns there (more sun, a little lower, I guess).  Near bottom of bowl, we cut to the ridge skiers right just above rock tower and dove down toward Fortune Creek.  Only 1 major (almost) continuous snow finger remains and it is a bit to the right of your exit off the ridge.  Removed skis twice, but this was an excellent run all the way to the Fortune Creek trail which we picked up at about 5200'.

Hollywood sent me a photo taken from Ingalls Pass:
L to R --S Ingalls, Ingalls, E Ingalls, T-Man, Modern, JP Labs, Univac (kneeling)

thanks for the detailed report!

couple more pix, since you are encouraging me.

Awesome trip!  Thanks for sharing.

Reply to this TR

june-1-2013-ingalls-fortune-deep-new-snow-high
artfreeman
2013-06-03 14:46:12