Home > Trip Reports > Camp Muir - 6/1/2013, - sticky

Camp Muir - 6/1/2013, - sticky

6/1/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by MtnPavlas on 6/1/13 4:39pm
Looks like Rainier got some new snow goods in the past couple weeks as some of the rocks I saw (and had to carry skis over) two weeks ago are now snowed in again. By the same token, it seems there has not been enough of the freezing-melting cycle or whatever the explanation is... the famous PNW corn was nowhere to be found on the Muir Snowfield today.
Beautiful weather for the skin up but quite socked in on the way down (that one depends on timing, of course as the clouds were in-and-out so to speak).
About 4-6 inches of sticky soft/slushy snow on consolidated base. Hopefully the next few days of freeze/melt will produce some corn ;-)
And yes, it was busy up there today (expected I suppose)...
Hey, sorry I missed you up there!  We made our descent a little later in the afternoon, and I found the upper few thousand feet (new snow indeed) to be relatively fast and carvable (splitboard difference perhaps?).  I was surprised by that, expecting slush.

I noticed some significant slide activity: there were number of loose wet releases - some sizable - on the SE slopes, and a couple that stepped down to slabs.  Also, the Nisqually chutes appeared to have a significant run.

Video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0ZrBc4478

...further to rIDE's slide observations, on friday I cut a sizeable wet slide off the corner of the steep section below pan point, it also stepped down and loosed as a a 10" wet slab, and moved fast & furious. SE aspect too, about 3pm.

- with the people hiking, it kinda looks like Tuckerman's ravine.  good Av. rpts.

We did it on Sunday (6/2), and it seemed like the snow was getting a bit firmer and more stable. Skiied very nicely in the morning, by the afternoon it was sticky but not sloppy. Cut one sluff coming down from Pan Point, it slid for about 100' but was only about 3" deep.

Lots of people out!

Reply to this TR

camp-muir-6-1-2013-sticky
MtnPavlas
2013-06-01 23:39:50