Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2013, Mt. Pilchuck-so nice I skied it twice

May 31, 2013, Mt. Pilchuck-so nice I skied it twice

5/31/13
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by artfreeman on 5/31/13 10:13am
Road open to about 5 minute walk from the end.  A few dirt patches to negotiate near the bottom but good skinning all the way up (booted a few tricky spots).

Clouds never really cleared and the snow was a little mushy, but still, I found it very easy to turn in, and I was on fairly skinny skis, plus there was no pollen.  Skied the so-called Gun Sight (SE Gully) which was in excellent shape.  Liked it so much I circled back up and did another lap (est 1.5 hr. for bonus lap).  Besides paying attention to where the cliff bands are, you need to be very careful about big cracks opening up, esp around rocks and where the slope rolls over.
Dusk patrolled Pilchuck today. Right in your tracks a few times I'm sure (even noticed the exact point where you decided to go up again rather than down). Sadly I had no time for bonus lap. If I did I would have done it too.

Annoyance with Hwy 9 traffic and some misnavigation in attempt to avoid traffic resulted in not starting from car til 5:30. There is one particularly bad pothole stretch on the approach road too just past Heather TH but fortunately it improved much past that.

Clouds were in and out but for at least a few times the sun was out, and there was always a nice view out towards the Sound to the west. Perfect temps, no rain. Only lower down did I notice slushiness, upper part may have been refreezing just a bit.

Pretty much had the mountain to myself. No party in the lookout today, no lithe young ladies portaging libations. But, no matter, the skiing was great.

This is amazingly the first time I've ever toured Pilchuck. I'll be back (maybe even soon). What a cool tour. That Gunsight pitch especially. Might try the waterfall way out of the bowl next time too (though looks like might be thin in parts). Definitely true that some of those weird cracks on the ridge at the breakovers came up on you fast, and many are of impressive size!

Reply to this TR

may-31-2013-mt-pilchuck-so-nice-i-skied-it-twice
artfreeman
2013-05-31 17:13:04