Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2013, Fortune Bowl

May 30, 2013, Fortune Bowl

5/30/13
Posted by LukerBee on 5/30/13 11:21pm
Got a late start boot-packing towards Ingalls Pass at about 12:30. Good snow (once we got to it) for booting and some good boot tracks to follow in. Sometimes a bit chilly with cloud cover, sometimes getting blazed by the sun. Up at the pass we got our only precipitation of the day - 5-10 minutes of light sugary snow.

From Ingalls Pass we skinned counter-clockwise around Fortune's ridge to the summit. We rode down the 'backside' of Fortune to find no-so-good snow. We skinned back up to the summit and this time we rode Fortune Bowl proper. The snow was quite good and the ride was terrific. Some of my best May turns. Before you could say 'hey, let's drop our stuff here and boot-up to do it again' we were doing just that. Great runs again. It would have been a shame to waste our newly established boot-line, so we had to do it again for a third line down the bowl.

At the bottom of the main bowl, we picked up our gear on and continued to ride down until the snow ran out. Not as good as up high, but still very good turns and spirited riding until the snow wore out. A quick boot-pack to the car by 7:30 for a great day of spring turns.

Vids...

http://youtu.be/ZgFdJ73z8Lo
I looked at the video but do you have any stills of stuart?

Man wish I would have joined up with you guys.

I'll try to post some pics of Stuart when I get them uploaded. The bottom was looking pretty damn bare.

Nice video. Watching the snow fly out from under your heelsides is worth a thousand words as far as telling what the snow conditions were like that day. And that snow looked pretty damn good. Love that bowl when conditions are right. The lightly timbered slopes to skiers right are pretty fun too but they don't stay good as far down as does the bowl run.

Reply to this TR

may-30-2013-fortune-bowl
LukerBee
2013-05-31 06:21:36