Home > Trip Reports > May 28, 2013, Silver slopes

May 28, 2013, Silver slopes

5/28/13
Posted by silaswild on 5/28/13 2:15pm
No change in how far is drivable since yesterday, still 3450'.  If a high clearance vehicle blasts a track through the short stretch of foot deep snow, another half mile of dry road will be drivable.  The snow above 4500' is still slushy 2-4", and good corn below 4500'.  We received very little precipitation between 1130AM and 430PM despite considerable rain falling in North Bend during those hours.  Was this good fortune, or some predictable atmospheric science situation?
Thanks for the info on Silver Peak.  If it ever stops raining , we would like to sample it.

author=silaswild link=topic=28669.msg120554#msg120554 date=1369804543]
No change in how far is drivable since yesterday, still 3450'.  If a high clearance vehicle blasts a track through the short stretch of foot deep snow, another half mile of dry road will be drivable.  The snow above 4500' is still slushy 2-4", and good corn below 4500'.  We were fortunate to receive very little precipitation between 1130AM and 430PM despite considerable rain falling in North Bend during those hours.  Was this good fortune, or some predictable atmospheric science situation?

I saw a sign at Olallie State Park near North Bend saying it rained about close to 100 inches per year there. Must have not been any left for you.

The weather at Silver is predictable!?!?  ;)

Dry east winds?  Looking at telemetry from yesterday winds were from the NE.  There are usually a few times each winter when the passes are mostly dry but it is precipitating heavily at other western cascade sites like Baker and Paradise.  I've even seen it where these other sites pick up 1+" of water equivalent without measurable precip at the passes.  Typical scenarios are a wet front moving into a relatively dry airmass, usually the rain shuts off somewhere between exit 42 and the pass on the drive up.

Same story at Alpental late yesterday afternoon.  I drove hydroplaned through heavy, heavy, driving rain between North Bend and Exit 42-45 around 4:15 and wondered if I was even going to bother getting out of the car! Got a few showers at Alpy, and one 10 minute blast of real rain, but that was it. Foggy and calm the rest of the evening.

I think it's just good clean livin' Silas......not by you of course, but someone else must have been up in the area that day! (;-))

author=freeskier link=topic=28669.msg120597#msg120597 date=1369944845]
I think it's just good clean livin' Silas......not by you of course, but someone else must have been up in the area that day! (;-))

;D

Speaking of this trip, I left a bit early and on the way out on the front side of Silver, I ended up setting off a 10-20ft wide sluff that traveled down very slow. I made a few more turns and some how managed to turn right into the slide and it knocked me down stone cold. Almost dislocated my shoulder, and ended up with snow in spots, all my pockets and down my pants.

Be careful out there.

Reply to this TR

may-28-2013-silver-slopes
silaswild
2013-05-28 21:15:43