Home > Trip Reports > May 25, 2013, Mt. Hood Illumination Saddle

May 25, 2013, Mt. Hood Illumination Saddle

5/25/13
OR Mt Hood
Posted by powgurl on 5/26/13 1:33pm
Spent a great day on Mt. Hood. Nearly two feet of snow had fallen within the last 48 hours and forecasts were calling for cloudy skies, but the skies opened up late morning for several hours while we explored Illumination Rock and environs. Snow was surprisingly consolidated and skied very well on Zigzag Glacier from 9600-7200 feet. We learned via radio that climbers 800 feet above us turned back before Crater Rock due to waist deep snow. The afternoon quickly became an oven as cloud cover moved in, causing snowfall off the rocks and much pinwheeling. Given the rapid and intense solar radiation, we kept it very conservative, but thoroughly enjoyed the day€™s turns.

Special thanks to Jim Thornton, the Mt. Hood Backcountry Ranger for sponsoring this NWAC auction item, garnering support from Timberline Mountain Resort for lift tickets up the Palmer, Off Piste€™s Dave Waag for the tour, and Hood River€™s Sixth Street Bistro for the delicious apres ski meal! This auction item was a great way to support NWAC.
- I saw on Timberline's website they have gotten almost 600" this season. Great report !

Thanks for the report - reporting from Hood is always appreciated.

Is this Larina? Cool! Get out much with NCMG this year? I miss Mazama, and Mt. Hood. If the weather pans out I just might tool all the way down there!

Reply to this TR

may-25-2013-mt-hood-illumination-saddle
powgurl
2013-05-26 20:33:53