Home > Forum > #8031 road @ Adams as shortcut: anyone tried it?

#8031 road @ Adams as shortcut: anyone tried it?

• wolfs
  • [wolfs]
More
24 May 2013 15:28 #209833 by wolfs
Was looking at a map brought up by looking at the other Adams access threads, and there is a road on the map there I never knew about. FS #8031. If you're approaching via the most awesome FS 23, on this map the #8031 road goes from about the Crest Trail crossing to the South Climb road (#8040) directly. Contouring the mtn, rather than dropping all the way into the Trout Lake valley on #23 and then having to come all the way back up on #80. Wow, could be a massive timesaver!

But, is it? Has anyone ever tried that road out? It has no separate listing on the rec report. It could even be fictional.

BTW I know about current fire closures and snow levels was more asking for future reference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
24 May 2013 16:17 #209834 by AlpineRose
Ah, FS 8031 brings back memories.

We tried it on a Friday evening, oh, about 20 years ago as a shortcut from FS 23 to Cold Springs to ski Mt. Adams the next day. It was to be our first Mt. Adams ski. As I recall, the road was ok in a Volvo wagon, but seemed slow driving. Unfortunately, our fuel pump failed a couple miles before we reached the Cold Springs road. We were dead in the water and had to car camp on the road for the night. Next morning, after a leisurely breakfast (we weren't going anywhere), we hiked out to the Cold Springs road. We were lucky to hitch a ride to Trout Lake with some climbers who'd bailed early on their climb. It was quite a project to get the Volvo towed to Portland, rent a car to get back to Seattle, and retrieve the Volvo a week later.

I can tell you we saw no one on that road the whole time, including when we returned with a tow truck.

More
24 May 2013 18:12 #209837 by davidG

Ah, FS 8031 brings back memories.

We tried it on a Friday evening, oh, about 20 years ago as a shortcut from FS 23 to Cold Springs to ski Mt. Adams the next day.  It was to be our first Mt. Adams ski.  As I recall, the road was ok in a Volvo wagon, but seemed slow driving.  Unfortunately, our fuel pump failed a couple miles before we reached the Cold Springs road.  We were dead in the water and had to car camp on the road for the night.  Next morning, after a leisurely breakfast (we weren't going anywhere), we hiked out to the Cold Springs road.  We were lucky to hitch a ride to Trout Lake with some climbers who'd bailed early on their climb.  It was quite a project to get the Volvo towed to Portland, rent a car to get back to Seattle, and retrieve the Volvo a week later.     

I can tell you we saw no one on that road the whole time, including when we returned with a tow truck. 

perfect..      8)

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
24 May 2013 20:26 #209840 by Randito
I got lost driving that at night in the '80s coming back from kayaking on the white salmon. D'oh

• CascadeClimber
  • [CascadeClimber]
More
28 May 2013 09:43 #209867 by CascadeClimber
Replied by CascadeClimber on topic Re: #8031 road @ Adams as shortcut: anyone tried it?
I've driven from Seattle to the South Climb trailhead three different ways. 8031 is shorter, but all take the same amount of time and the I5 to 84 route is the least stressful. Damn near turned my jeep over on 8031 years ago where the washboard suddenly transitioned to asphalt at a bend. I'll never forget the look on the face of my partner as that old CJ7 leaned up on the two wheels on his side...

Plus the beer is better in Hood River than anywhere along 8031 :)