Home > Trip Reports > May 19-20, 2013, Mt Baker, Easton Glacier

May 19-20, 2013, Mt Baker, Easton Glacier

5/19/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Ninjapants on 5/21/13 1:48am
With all the gloomy weather lately...... Stuart, Beastman and I were hoping to get lucky with a small window of weather on Monday afternoon for a summit attempt. Last 2 miles of Road up to Shreibers meadow still snowed in. Approach started at 10 am with overcast but warm slush, then turned to white out as we reached "Camp Tea-bag" somewhere around Camp Sandy next to the first Seracs. Mild evening, clouds lifted briefly around 6:30pm for some good photos. The plan was to descend around 1pm, we started up at 8am with ski crampons. Crevasses are easily negotiable at the moment. We reached the Sherman Crater before 11, being a bit ahead of schedule we had a long lunch out of the wind next to the Crater. We headed up the Roman Wall with Boot Crampons around noon, firm but great snow for climbing. The wind really picked up as we reached to Summit, I guessed it somewhere around 40 mph, we dropped our gear and ran over to the true summit. The snow at the top was really firm but skiable, once off the wall the snow got much better and didn't start to get sticky until about 6000 ft. We passed one team of 3 on the way up but they turned around and one solo guy around 8000ft on his way up, other than that we had the place to ourselves!

Thanks for the update! Hope to head up the 1st weekend in June. Lots of milers up there?

Nice atmospheric pics!

You should be able to drive all the way by then, lots of snowmobiles on sunday but not a single one on our way out monday.......not sure about the milers?

A few more pics...

Awesome pics, and good write-up! Hoping to be heading up there in early June as well. Thanks for the beta!

You have been laying back, I would love to see more of your photography, these are a wonderful collection. Thanks for the report.

author=jtack link=topic=28605.msg120461#msg120461 date=1369496854]
You have been laying back, I would love to see more of your photography, these are a wonderful collection. Thanks for the report.

I agree!

Thanks for the comments....

Reply to this TR

may-19-20-2013-mt-baker-easton-glacier
Ninjapants
2013-05-21 08:48:56